Author Topic: Davidís MK 1 1947 Douglas. Cont'  (Read 7986 times)

Offline David H

Davidís MK 1 1947 Douglas. Cont'
« on: 04 Aug 2008 at 08:02 »
Hi every one
Though I would start a new post the original was getting a bit big to download.
I haven't been able to work on the Mk1 over the past couple of months been a bit sick. The frame was repaired in May but has sat around gathering dust. So last week got all enthusiastic and re assembled the bike and this time the engine fitted just fine. completed putting cylinders heads etc on today and fired her up. I can't say it fired first kick, flooded her but 4 or 5 kicks a big puff of black smock and away she went Idling at about 1100 Rpm I guess. Smooth as anything seems to have good throttle responce and no unusual noises so very happy.
I have a problem with the right carby in so far as the fuel union is cracked and leaks petrol fixed it temporally today with yards of PTFE tape. If anybody has a good seat and carby top I would be very interested.
Still lots of work to do but I feel I am over the hump so as to speak.

A couple of questions somebody maybe able to help with

What length is the speedo cable on a Mk 1?
Did the Mk1 have transfers on the tool box?

A couple of pics she looks a bit untidy but that will be fixed very soon.

Cheers
David H

« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2008 at 21:24 by Dave »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Davidís MK 1 1947 Douglas. Cont'
« Reply #1 on: 04 Aug 2008 at 12:05 »
Hi David,
               All the illustrations of the early T35's that I have, show a plain toolbox without transfers. Later Mk 3's had the 'winged T35' transfer. The standard length of speedo cable that we supply has an outer case 56"long.
                                          Regards,
                                                       Eddie.

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Co-Founder
  • Location: Late of Encounter Bay, South Coast, South Australia
« Reply #2 on: 05 Aug 2008 at 03:08 »
Hi David,
               ... The standard length of speedo cable that we supply has an outer case 56"long.
                                          Regards,                                                       Eddie.

Hi David and Eddie,
It may be wise to check that length - I had one made up for my '48 T35 at 1350 millimetres (outer case = 53.15") and that proved to be about 12 or 15 mm too long! - suggest you get a length of soft annealed wire and bend it to accord with the cable route avoiding sharp bends so far as possible and measure that - I set the cable drive at an angle consistent with the rise needed to guide the cable through the void between the two compartments of the fuel tank.

Alwyn
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline David H

« Reply #3 on: 05 Aug 2008 at 10:28 »
Hi Alwyn and Eddie
Thanks for the advice I will try to gauge the length with a piece of wire and see what it comes to. I have looked at three bikes and they all have the cable running differently and to be quite honest I don't know how Mr Douglas intended it to run. My guess it that it runs over the swing arm then down to the lower frame tube then looping up the front of the engine to the speedo head? does this sound about right? or does it rise up straight from the drive and run under the tank?  as I think Alwyn is suggesting.

All suggestions welcome

Cheers
David H

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 05 Aug 2008 at 11:46 »
David,
           From some original publicity shots, it looks as if Mr Douglas positioned the speedo drive so that it was angled up at about 2 o'clock. The cable then ran straight up to the rear of the petrol tank and presumably along the frame top tube. In practice, I have found that this arrangement generates a push - pull effect on the cable as the suspension moves. With a slightly longer cable, it can be arranged to lay on the strap at the front of the tank, then the rear tank mount, and then continuing almost horizontal before sweeping down to the drive (which is then set to point between 12 and 1 o'clock). The broad sweeps ensure the cable doesn't suffer any snatching or tight bends - thus lengthening the life of both the cable and the drive.
                                                    Eddie.

Offline David H

« Reply #5 on: 06 Aug 2008 at 08:37 »
Thanks Eddie
will be in touch

David H

motorcycle