Author Topic: Hello - and a Douglas ID  (Read 7637 times)

Offline RobDR

Hello - and a Douglas ID
« on: 30 Jul 2008 at 00:09 »
Hi all, thought i'd better introduce myself. My name's Rob, and i'm interested in old vehicles, mainly from the era around the First World War. Unfortunately, as i'm only just 20 and still at University, it'll be a few years yet until i'm able to own a Douglas, although my dream is to own one and ride around the WW1 battlefields on it. Until then, I just photograph Douglas' and other WW1 era Motorcycles at various events and museums. I've come across this photograph of a Despatch Rider's Douglas during WW1, does anyone know which model it is?

Cheers, Rob
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2009 at 20:48 by Dave »

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: Hello - and a Douglas ID
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2008 at 05:15 »
Hi Rob
    This despatch rider machine is the 2.3/4 hp model (349cc in line twin cylinder model Douglas) typical of the 25,000 machines procured by the War Office for despatch rider duties during the First World War. The layout on this example shows common features of machines used in this conflict in having a large high mounted headlamp, a leg shield usually made of leather and an extra toolbox on the left side of the carrier.
     These machines were a carry over from the civilian machines developed from the first introduction of the engines with four pushrod operated valves in 1912 and continued to use the lightweight forks frame and narrow petrol tank through to about 1919 although later design forks frame and tank were introduced in 1916 with the two designs apparently running in parallel in the later war years. I also have a collection of photographs of many despatch rider mounts some researched from the photographic archives of the Imperial War Museum, London, and some of family members of fellow motorcycle owners.  Chris.

Offline Dirt Track

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2008 at 03:33 »
G'day all
Sounds like we should start an album of WW1 DR photos!
Howard.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 01 Aug 2008 at 00:47 »
A 2-speed, drop handlebars and no free-engine clutch so probably a model V 2-3/4hp.

-Doug

Offline RobDR

« Reply #4 on: 02 Aug 2008 at 10:44 »
G'day all
Sounds like we should start an album of WW1 DR photos!
Howard.

Sounds good to me - got in the post this morning a fantastic postcard of a Douglas and sidecar with rider and a small child in the sidecar. I'll post it later, very nice bike. Interestingly, the registration plate has nothing on it but the WD arrow