Author Topic: BIRTHDATE  (Read 5644 times)

Offline bazza

BIRTHDATE
« on: 13 Jul 2008 at 07:32 »
 :D G'Day All,Now things are moving along I am in a quandry do I call my EW a 1926 or a 1927,the frame is MF 20041 (1927) the engine is YE 18458 (1926) .Also does anyone have any history maybe Doug Kephart you may know.

Regards Bazza

Offline MRD

Re: BIRTHDATE
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2008 at 19:25 »
.....do I call my EW a 1926 or a 1927,the frame is MF 20041 (1927) the engine is YE 18458 (1926) .......Regards Bazza

Bazza
I believe that all vehicles are dated via the chassis/ frame  number so your EW should be a 1927 model.
Regards       Martin.

Edit 14/07/2008 - quote modified.  A.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2008 at 22:16 by alwyn »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2008 at 04:09 »
Bazza,

Like Martin, I too would use the frame to define the year rather than the engine. Engines often blew up and were replaced. One distinctive feature that makes a frame 1927 and onwards, is the mounting of the transmission. Prior to that the trans sat on a platform, but for the '27 season the trans sat on a pair of frame tubes.

Now things are never so clear as that, And while the change was cataloged for the 1927 season, the actual change would have occurred several months prior to that. The new models for the following year would be prepared and exhibited at the Olympia show, or some such, in the UK. The early EW changes were numerous and critical due to warranty claims, and they would not have waited till the next year's catalog to implement them! I have no idea exactly when the change to the trans mounting happened, other than it appeared in time for the '27 season. 

Douglas considered it a running change, insomuch as they did not see fit to assign a new frame prefix code. The numbers in the model identify tables for the EW frames by year are approximations, which is probably apparent from the rounding off of the numerals. So while technically by the table yours would be the forty-first frame in 1928 (the numbers indicate the upper limit for a given year), more latitude than that needs to be given. They might well have still been numbering '27 frames beyond MF20000. Changes between a 1927 and a '28 are more subtle; mostly to do with accessories and such that all get changed around when building up a basket case. For instance install foot pegs and a cloth saddle and you might very well call it a '28 and not a '27.

Further complicating things is the export market to Australia. A bike could have left the factory half a year before, by the time it got to Australia, was sold, and registered. Still I think most would consider the date of manufacture as the bike's birthday, and not the date of registration.

-Doug
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2008 at 13:06 by Doug »

Offline bazza

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2008 at 07:24 »
Thanks Doug and Martin so 1927 it is gee whiz Doug how on earth did you come across all this information,I have met you and you don't look all that old not even as old as me.

Bazza

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2008 at 13:09 »
Bazza,

Oh, well you know, hobby…

I have a few bits of original literature, photocopies of others, a lot more of the readily available reprints, take lots and lots of pictures when I can at the rallies, and talk and trade technical points with other owners.

Trouble is trying to organize and make sense of it all. The model timeline and ID tables are a start. Eventually I would like to see another Douglas book published focusing more on the models and changes from year to year. Something like Doug Frost’s out of print “Douglas Range” booklets, but expanded. It would not be an easy task for anyone, as there is so much about Douglas machines that will probably now never be known.

As can be seen in various posts on this forum, there are still machines turning up that are not in the catalog and defy easy classification. We can not even be very sure about popular models like the EW!

-Doug

P.S. You are only as old as you feel, which should make me about 114!

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2008 at 16:02 »
I'm still a teenager - and have been for the last 52 years!!!

Eddie.