Author Topic: Getting There  (Read 9683 times)

Offline bazza

Getting There
« on: 10 Jul 2008 at 09:31 »
Hi All,Well David H arrived from Melbourne with his wife Nette and so we set to the Ew to get it started everything was going fine till we discovered the clutch was slipping and the flywheel wasn't responding to us kicking the engine over the sprocket was slipping and therefore the flywheel wasn't turning.So we stripped down the flywheel and we maintain the boss of the flywheel had been ground down at some stage and was sitting flush.We looked at photos of David Barkshires clutch assembly and noted his flywheel boss sat proud by how much we would like to know.Also we think there may be a part missing does the thrust race have a retaining washer if so a photo or something would be appreciated.What we thought was was needed is the flywheel  to be re machined in some way so the centre boss sits proud.If all this was achieved  the clutch could ??????? work properly.
We would like some input Dave goes home on Sunday god what a help this guy has been.Tomorrow we are going to try to set up the bike so there is no clutch but at least get the engine going and that my friends will be a plus Have attached photos to try to show what we are on about.

Regards Bazza and David H

« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2008 at 21:23 by bazza »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Getting There
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2008 at 12:42 »
Barry,
          If you still have the flywheel off the engine, check that the clutch plate is being gripped by the pressure of the clutch springs - if it is , the clutch/flywheel is probably assembled correctly. Then refit the flywheel and check to see if there is any free movement of the operating cam with the cable disconnected. If there is no free play, the flywheel is probably going too far onto the crankshaft (probably due to previous attempts to restore the taper) and some reworking of the thrust race may be necessary to gain some free play (or, if there is enough clearance inside the flywheel, a thicker than standard clutch lining could be fitted - this would give more more free play). If there is free play but the cable wont reach the operating arm, a new, longer inner cable will have to be made. Regarding the thrust race - Douglas used several different configurations - on some, the thrust race ran direct on the face of the operating cam - others had a removable hardened track - some had a plain bronze thrust washer - others, like yours, had the thrust washer fitted with balls. Because of these differences, reference to another machine may not necessarily provide the solution.
             Good luck - don't let it beat you!
                                             Regards,
                                                     Eddie.

Offline roy

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2008 at 14:14 »
Barry,
     As Eddie said some clutches run direct on the operating cam as does mine.
Prior to the Banbury Run 22/06 I dismantled and cleaned the clutch on my EW.
I took a series of photos as I dismantled it (not taking any chances, as I'm not a trained mechanic), I have posted them hoping they may be of some assistance.
Keep going, we are with you all the way. Roy.

« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2008 at 22:22 by Dave »

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2008 at 22:10 »
I had problems with my OC clutch after it sheared the sprocket - when rebuilt I did not have clearance. Solved the problem by converting from a thrust race to a sintered bronze washer (thinner than the race) - it works perfectly.

Offline bazza

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2008 at 01:29 »
G'day All,Today is one of the most happiest days of my life David and I kicked Doris the Duggie over and she fired first kick and RAN !!!!!!!!!!YIPPEE what a sound the whole neighborhood heard me.What a great day for Bazza and what a great day for David and what a great day for Douglas motorbikes.It was a combination of timing and a badly function flywheel (we put 2 extra clutch springs making a total of 6 that did the trick).Now we have to sort out the clutch situation and get that sorted and a few other minor things and then I can get it registered.Ian where did you get your sintered bronze thrust race from?????.Thanks to everyone over the past 14 months who have replied to my posts your help advice and encouragement has been nothing short of fantastic,my thanks especially to David and to Alan Cunningham who I bought this basket case from thanks Alan for the opportunity for getting this old girl up and running,there have been times where I felt like slashing my wrists but its all been worth it.

Regards Bazza

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2008 at 01:52 »
Bazza, I can't recall the company - found it on the net. It was in Melbourne from memory. I will look round to see if I can find it. I have a few spares here - but not sure if suitable size for the EW. Important thing is not to machine on the running surfaces if you can help it as you may smear over the oil pores !! You can play with ID and OD. Mine are 1/8" thick OD 2" and ID 1 5/8" - they were the closest I could get - I had to machine a touch off the ID and it works fine. They only actually do anything when you have the clutch disengaged. Let me know if they will suit and I will send you one.

Great news about the EW running - I guess that means you will be sending in your entry for the Rally !!

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Co-Founder
  • Location: Late of Encounter Bay, South Coast, South Australia
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2008 at 03:22 »
....Today is one of the most happiest days of my life David and I kicked Doris the Duggie over and she fired first kick and RAN !!!!!!!!!!YIPPEE what a sound....

Congratulations Barry! Must be great satisfaction following all the trauma and disappointments! Enjoy!

Alwyn
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline bazza

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2008 at 05:59 »
Hi Ian,Thanks for the offer the size I need is 2 .7/16 od 1.13/16 id the wall is 5/16 the overall thickness is 1/4  so yours wouldn't fit.

Bazza

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2008 at 06:17 »
The company I found that had them was www.acl.com.au - none were absolutely correct. The most important dimension is the ID - - I think my clutch sounds as though it uses the same size thrust washer as yours - except not 1/4" thick. I had to go to 1//8" as I ran out of adjustment on the cam (it bottomed out on the crankcase) - from memory the original race I was using was 3/16" before we modified the clutch.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2008 at 08:12 by Ian »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2008 at 08:05 »
Barry,
         As Ian said, it is not advisable to machine the working faces of the sintered bronze washer but if machining is unavoidable, just get one face machined back - then you will still have the original self lubricating properties on the other face.
                                        Regards,
                                                     Eddie.

Offline roy

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2008 at 09:48 »
!!!!!!CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
Well done Barry and David H.
As they say THERES no GAIN without PAIN, you sure had yours.
Enjoy the future. Roy.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2008 at 11:10 »
Great news Bazza and well done!! Hope to see some photos of you riding the EW.

Dave

Offline tommy

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2008 at 18:17 »
Fantastic news!!
Well done. Hope you enjoy her when you get the last bits of fettling done.
Don't it feel good now :D

Offline David H

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jul 2008 at 08:31 »
Hi Everyone

Barrie's EW running at last, It was a real blast when it fired actually scared the H--l out of me I was really looking to see if the clutch was going to slip or not gave it a bit of a kick and away it went. The biggest problem was that the clutch pressure plate was hanging up on the flywheel boss and not allowing the pressure of the springs to clamp the friction plate. the partially slipping clutch not allowing the engine crank properly. The other curly one was the Maggy advance leaver is set up backward so when you advance the leaver up top it retards the ignition, They don't start well with the ignition after TDC.
I must say Barry has done a marvelous job seeing he has taken a basket case to a 90% finished EW with little more than hand tools and a single car garage. You deserve a pat on the back mate keep up the good work. You have something to be proud of.

Cheers
David H

motorcycle