Author Topic: dragonfly  (Read 5566 times)

Offline susanne

dragonfly
« on: 21 May 2008 at 13:42 »
I have a dragonfly that has been standing at the back of the garage for 20 years i have no log book or reg number and cannot find any frame number but i do have the engine and gearbox numbers is it possable to trace the reg or get a log book, can any one tell mell what colours they were painted when new. Susanne.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: dragonfly
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2008 at 17:54 »
Susanne,
               The frame number on Dragonflies is just below the pivot bolt for the rear swinging arm - on the left hand side of the frame. The numbers are quite small and can be difficult to read, especially if the frame has several coats of paint on it. Regarding retrieving the original registration number: here in the UK, this is usually possible if you have any original paperwork for the bike - even an old tax disc or MOT certificate. Failing this, you can get an 'age related' number - the LDMCC registrar will be able to help with the date the bike was dispatched from the factory, if you inform him of the frame number.
                                          Regards,
                                                  Eddie.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: dragonfly
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2008 at 16:12 »
Hi Susanne
     In your query, you also asked about the colours that the Dragonfly was originally painted. This model was finished in two alternative colour schemes. The greatest number by far were finished in Green and Stone. Stone is a shade of beige and for many years the best and most accurate equivalent to this colour was a car colour used by the British Motor Company (BMC) on mostly I believe the Austin/Morris range of cars. This was called El Paso Beige. Most industrial /car paint suppliers can mix paint to any of the old car colours. DIY aerosols are no longer available off the shelf for these obsolete car colours but paint can be mixed by the litre for spraying or can be made up specially in aerosols to order. The green generally favoured in restoration projects was BMC British Racing Green. The colour scheme was as follows as far as I know. The frame, hubs, headlamp cowl, toolbox, mudguards, Girling dampers and petrol tank side panels were all finished in the Stone colour (beige). The petrol tank top panel was finished in green with beige pin striping. as were the centres of the wheel rims. The petrol tank side panels and toolboxes had green pinstriping. The rear number plate battery carrier and centre stand were in black. The petrol tank background colour and wheel rims were available in either chrome plate or silver paint. If finished in silver the usual choice is Ford Silver Fox which is a metallic silver. On the Green and Stone version the dual seat was upholstered in dark green fabric to match the tank top panel etc.
      The alternative colour for the Dragonfly was Black and Silver and there were certainly many less of these originally although I suspect more have appeared over the years as repaints have taken place. In these the whole machine is black except for the background colour of the petrol tank which is silver unless it is chrome plated. The petrol tank panels, both top and sides are in black and with this colour scheme all the pin striping is in gold on petrol tank, toolbox and wheel rim centres. The dual seat on this version is upholstered in black fabric. In photos you will see many variations on the above with green or black Girling dampers on beige machines, beige centre stands etc. I stand to be corrected but I believe the above schemes to have been original.
      From the factory despatch records, it is recorded as to what the original despatch colour was of the identifying frame number.     Chris
« Last Edit: 22 May 2008 at 17:58 by Chris »