Author Topic: Inverted lever  (Read 9863 times)

Offline trakadaka

Inverted lever
« on: 01 May 2008 at 11:27 »
Our 1926 EW350 is missing an inverted lever on the left hand side of the handle bars that I will replace. I beleive it connects to the exhaust. Is somebody able to tell me exactly what it does and the cable arrangement.

Thanks very much.

Trace

Offline roy

Re: Inverted lever
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2008 at 18:55 »
Hi Trace, yes the left-hand leaver connects to the valve lifter situated on the right-hand side of the timing cover underneath the induction pipe, it enables you to stop the engine.
As far as the cable is concerned, mine passes through the handlebar and down underneath the tank.
Have taken some photos, hope they may help.  Roy. 

« Last Edit: 01 May 2008 at 20:14 by Dave »

Offline trakadaka

« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2008 at 21:40 »
Have taken some photos, hope they may help.  Roy. 

Thanks for the info and the photos. We'll get it sorted.

Trace

Edit 02/05/2008: Excessive quote adjusted and repeat photos removed.  A.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2008 at 23:06 by alwyn »

Offline trakadaka

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2008 at 09:58 »
We're just about to take off the timing cover and see how we connect the cable to what we find inside. Is there anything we should be aware of before we start? Currently we have a bolt screwed into where the cable connects on the right hand side of the timing cover, so I'm guessing we can just remove that, scew in the cable and connect it to whatever is inside, if there is anything inside!

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2008 at 05:44 »
Trace,

I could not find an illustration for the 350EW, but I found this one for the 600EW which has a similar cable release mechanism.

My basket-case ’27 EW 350 is missing the exhaust valve lifting mechanism, but it does have the sleeve that threads into the top of the crankcase. This sleeve is identical to one fitted to my ’28 600EW (also missing the exhaust valve lifting mechanism!), so it is probably just the length of the operating rod that varies between the large and small engines. The square loop on the end hooks onto the exhaust valve lifting link; the end of which is very similar to the clutch operating cam.

If your crankcase has a bolt blocking off the hole in the crankcase, it is likely that the operating rod is also missing. The same might be true for the pair of forged links that bear on the exhaust tappets, and so lift the valves.

-Doug

Offline trakadaka

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2008 at 05:57 »
Thanks very much for the information. We'll have a look at it and see what we can figure out. I think you'll be right about missing the bits. However, well see how we go.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2008 at 03:39 »
Trace,

These are the parts for the 350EW that lift the exhaust tappets inside the timing chest-

-Doug