Author Topic: Re: Old Bike Mart May 2007 artical  (Read 14874 times)

Offline tommy

Re: Old Bike Mart May 2007 artical
« on: 19 Apr 2008 at 23:29 »
Copy obtained via the help of a forum member, Thanks!

-Doug

Dear Doug,
I have a question and it is only a question as to how this forum works.
We see that you have asked a question of the forum for an article in OBM. The article is a bit behind by now, but we can excuse that for over the water reasons.
On this forum we see no reply, but you have managed to obtain one in the background from a member, but none of us can see that reply.
How does that work?
You have once again moderated and replied to your own own question?
There has been no other interaction with any other member shown in the listing or forum?
To myself, it looks again that you are replying to your own postings and this should surely not be?
Surely you should not be moderating your own replies/responses

Thanks

Tom
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2008 at 04:13 by Doug »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2008 at 05:30 »
Tom,

I moved this post to this message board, since you ask a question about the workings of replies to posts on the forum.

To answer your question as to why one might answer their own post, quite simple really. A forum member saw my request for information and replied off-forum (in this case using the Private Message facility.) Had it been a public communication, or something they wished all to see, they would have post a conventional reply in this thread. They wanted to return a favor, without making a public deal about it.

My reply is just to notify those who might read the thread that I did indeed get a copy of the article which I sought; request fulfilled. That is the reply. And a bit of a plug that was via the help of the Douglas community here on the forum. Otherwise it would appear as if no one had yet responded.

Similar to if you have an item listed in the 'For Sale' or 'Wanted' section. When the purpose of the advert is fulfilled, one should go back an post a reply that the item is sold/acquired, if needed to clarify the situation.

All in the capacity of an ordinary forum member.

Also posting a reply flags the message as 'new', giving a visual cue to members that a reply or new information has been added. Editing an existing post does not flag a message in this manner, though if you happen to read the message, you will see a footnote at the bottom of the message to that effect of by who and when the last edit was done.

In moving your post here, and replying to your query, I am acting in a moderator's capacity. The only connection your post had to mine was that it prompted your question. I could not answer that question there without veering off-thread; which is something else one should avoid, though it can be hard! To answer it in terms of how the forum works, as you requested, places it solidly in this message board. And I hope I did answer it above.

If in future you have questions related to the forum or replies in general, please post them here. Separate them out from replies specific to the topics in other threads. It will make it a lot easier for us moderators to respond. This also may remove the confusion over some of us that have duel roles of ordinary members and as moderators, and when we are acting in either capacity. Also when carrying out a moderator role, I try to remember to sign off as such (see below.)

-Doug
Site moderator

This thread was split off from the following message after post #2-
https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php/topic,2575.0.html

Offline tommy

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2008 at 18:45 »
Tom,

I moved this post to this message board, since you ask a question about the workings of replies to posts on the forum.

To answer your question as to why one might answer their own post, quite simple really. A forum member saw my request for information and replied off-forum (in this case using the Private Message facility.) Had it been a public communication, or something they wished all to see, they would have post a conventional reply in this thread. They wanted to return a favor, without making a public deal about it.

My reply is just to notify those who might read the thread that I did indeed get a copy of the article which I sought; request fulfilled. That is the reply. And a bit of a plug that was via the help of the Douglas community here on the forum. Otherwise it would appear as if no one had yet responded.

Similar to if you have an item listed in the 'For Sale' or 'Wanted' section. When the purpose of the advert is fulfilled, one should go back an post a reply that the item is sold/acquired, if needed to clarify the situation.

All in the capacity of an ordinary forum member.

Also posting a reply flags the message as 'new', giving a visual cue to members that a reply or new information has been added. Editing an existing post does not flag a message in this manner, though if you happen to read the message, you will see a footnote at the bottom of the message to that effect of by who and when the last edit was done.

In moving your post here, and replying to your query, I am acting in a moderator's capacity. The only connection your post had to mine was that it prompted your question. I could not answer that question there without veering off-thread; which is something else one should avoid, though it can be hard! To answer it in terms of how the forum works, as you requested, places it solidly in this message board. And I hope I did answer it above.

If in future you have questions related to the forum or replies in general, please post them here. Separate them out from replies specific to the topics in other threads. It will make it a lot easier for us moderators to respond. This also may remove the confusion over some of us that have duel roles of ordinary members and as moderators, and when we are acting in either capacity. Also when carrying out a moderator role, I try to remember to sign off as such (see below.)

-Doug
Site moderator

This thread was split off from the following message after post #2-
https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php/topic,2575.0.html

Doug, that is just so fantastic, your reply and all!!! Why thank you.
There is much to say about this, but I have a wife, family and it is Sunday night, so please forgive me. I will let you know shortly. (if not banned for forming and oppinion)

Thanks for your tireless work as a moderator though. Sorry (Global Moderator) even though at times it really is not required.
Going for dinner now with my folks, so will not be on line writing for hours or looking at/trying to mount a Douglas or forum member.

Please move this post to the appropriate garage/place.
I am sorry, but you really don't get it.
Please read your own ramblings and at least try and see what is wrong. You don't have to post a reply to your own posting as no one was interested to do it on line in the forum in the first place!

Best wishes

Tom

[Quote codes edited. 20Apr08, -Doug]
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2008 at 19:53 by Doug »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2008 at 06:07 »
Tom,
         Take your blinkers off!
    This is a public forum where members can request assistance - when required. If another member responds with that assistance, it may contain personal information that should NOT be made available to all and sundry - so the reply is in the form of a 'Personal Message'. Then the recipient of the assistance posts another message to say that the problem has been solved - in order that others don't waste their time duplicating the offer. That is EXACTLY how this forum should work - there is no point in divulging any more details. It could easily affect a member's security!
     If you are not happy with this situation, perhaps YOU should drop out - instead of making offensive, ill - informed comments about others who put in many hours of effort to make this forum work this effectively. If you can't be more considerate, I fear, you may (and should) have that decision taken out of your hands.
     Personally, I look forward to the help and information that is contained in this site - although I may not agree with all the detail - and for that I say 'Well done Doug and all the other administrators, etc. - keep up the good work'.
                                        Eddie.

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2008 at 12:26 »
Thats the way i have always communicated with Doug and this forum and it works fine

i fully understood what Doug wanted and glad he posted back because i would have to move several boxes in garage to get out my books but would have done it for him its called help

Here here Eddie on your comments this forum has always been renowned for friendly chat and to inform the uniformed
I hadn't seen a Douglas till 4 years ago so i am still the uninformed but i try to help

This forum was designed to pool the limited amount of Douglas information to help keep the Douglas marque alive as living outside of england information is limited

i am no Douglas expert but try and help as much as i can with my limited knowledge on British bikes in general
Doug keep doing what u have been doing as i love the info and the effort you put in on this forum

Offline roy

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2008 at 19:45 »
Well said Eddie and Trevor.
Tommy, I would suggest that YOU read your last three lines, as it is clearly YOU that doesn't get it and in the future stick to making CONSTRUCTIVE comments/advice about things Dugie.

Offline tommy

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2008 at 22:39 »
Dear All,
Thank you for your opinions and information regarding my posts.
I am happy to exit this forum as said before and also the club. This forum and the club are not my life and never will be.
I do have to accept however that this is not the case for all and some are far deeper in to this than I. (Not sure about your blinkers speech Eddie.) Mine never went on, never mind had to come off!   

This forum is not attractive for a young man and those in the know should cast their mind back to the speech given by Roger Moss at last years Douglas Rally.
For the record, I did not agree with him, but he was kind of touching the right point.

I guess I am frustrated by the confines of the club and forum and would like to help to move things forward in both, but find the establishment a wall and really out of touch.
That is not a pop at the oldies, as they have earned their place and time to enjoy.
I like to mix with them, learn and enjoy.
Then again, they are the ones saying they are only custodians of a machine!

There comes another problem.
Do we all sit here banging away on our keyboards, or do we get out and about, meet people, RIDE the machines.

Seriously, OBM has a web site. Costs tuppence happeny to subscribe and you can go on line and order back issues.
For computer literate people, can they not just go order a copy?
I don't get milk delivered, but I can if I order it!
Please take your blinkers off if you think this is normal. Just go to OBM for your back issue. Don't post it here. It takes up server space and that costs money.

Eddie, you produced a machine in the form of Dragonfly with four pots. Been done before, but.
Wow!!
Fantastic!
It looks a million dollars and like it just left the factory.
This is achievement.
This is engineering.
This is time, pain, investment and pride!
I love what you did to this bike.
What I guess I am asking is, can we have pictures and an article on the development of this machine rather than what we get on this forum? Or do we get a conflict with NCR if that is done?
Do we really have to suffer the daily dross when there are projects and achievements out there like yours?

For even posting this, I am sure I will face a ban, although I can not really find anything wrong in the post. Apart from it does not agree with all of you!
Future posts I may run through Dave should I wish to post any.
I love my bikes and the people I have met and kept on the road.

Motorcyclists are supposed to be a hardy bunch, not shiny backside Clark's sat at desks writing this load of cobblers..
A true racer will give no ground to any other and I do not concede to you lot.

I do admit though that I am not everyones cup of tea. Would be a drab world if we were all the same.

Take life as you greet it. With a pinch of salt and a Little high blood pressure!

See you at the the finishing post......IF you get there.

It's OK. You can have humour!

Tom

Offline richson

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2008 at 23:25 »
In my experience of forumculture there are always some who are hard to fathom out.  A mixture of some sense & senselessness, but at some time some unjustified offensiveness rears its head. That is generally the point when the plug is pulled. but if not, some semi-passive diatribe from the offender will attempt to calm the waters, but it's just a matter of time until it kicks off again. Some folks just don't get it at all and never will, and nor do they want to.  It's not a complicated formula: contribute if you have something constructive to say, or to ask, and if you don't, then go somewhere else and let the folks who do appreciate what goes on here communicate without your participation. You seem to be in a minority of one.

Offline tommy

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2008 at 23:47 »
Not trying to pacify anyone or calm the waters. You can not say what is thought here, so why go any further.
Happy to exit this forum as listed above.
Always did swim against the tide and not being an expert on forum culture can not really go there.

Will leave you to it in the belief that all is OK.
Minority is OK. The government give grants for that. Does it mean that I/we are wrong.

No question marks to the above. That would invite reply. That is wrong.

Thanks

Tom

Offline richson

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2008 at 00:13 »
Well Tom, if you want to exit the forum that's your choice, but you don't have to fall into the bracket that I described if you don't want to. If you don't, then it does mean that comments about mounting other forrmites etc stops because seriously, in context, that's not funny whatever you say about humour. One of the good things about a forum is that it enables diverse opinions and comment, but it has to be respectful to those who are genuinely trying to help. If you're talking about the forum and club not being attractive to a young man, how much help have you had from the more senior members? I know I have had loads, and can remember when one senior gentleman who must have been 80+ practically serviced my bike on the roadside, and literally gave blood to the cause. That is what you stand to lose by not respecting the experience and know-how of the "oldies" and bitching about forum procedure. I hope you don't decide to leave the forum, because variety is refreshing, but just don't leap off the deep end and start insulting the people that work the hardest to keep the whole thing going.

Maybe Tommo got out of bed on the wrong side this morning and had a bad day . . . .

Offline tommy

« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2008 at 01:18 »
Richson,
Thank you for your post.
You are probably right, maybe I did get out the wrong side of the cot and maybe even spat the dummy out!!!
I really do support the oldies and do have much respect for them. (genuinely) and have been places with them on Douglas that you would not believe or know.
I mean what I say about Eddie and the likes. His creation is fantastic.
We need to learn from them before it is gone.
Maybe that is the frustrated point I am trying to get to and don't really know how on this forum.
I am always open to learn and will always listen to good sense, but I find it very hard and frustrating cutting through the regular tosh.
That is maybe the down side of being a young charger!
Many things are right about this forum, Chris, Eddie and the likes get involved only when they have to.
There are others who are all over it like a rash, posting replies and moderating all over the place without letting it flow.
How you get that point across, I don't know. Tried with humour, bluntness and many other ways.
I guess by now I made my point, so no further posts required.
A forum I always thought was a debate and a range of opinions, good and bad. That has to include criticisms.
This forum seems to be blind to criticism.
If the forum can not accept criticism then there is no future. When you can not criticise, you have to become blunt.

I have served my time on these bikes and know them well. I have also helped many an older rider out to overcome technical faults and they me.
That is what it really is about.

I apologise for my mounting gag.
That was in hindsight not appropriate even though there was humour involved, just not for most.

Tom