Author Topic: Early Sidecars  (Read 12709 times)

Offline MRD

Early Sidecars
« on: 07 Apr 2008 at 20:24 »
Hi all
Does any one have any pictures of early Douglas side cars?
If so were they mainly for the 3 1/2 hp and 4hp models or did the fit them to 2 3/4 hp models as well?
Regards      MRD

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: Early Sidecars
« Reply #1 on: 07 Apr 2008 at 21:17 »
Here's a photo of Graeme and family on his 1914 3-1/2hp outfit taken during the Australian Rally last year.

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 07 Apr 2008 at 23:57 »
This sidecar was fitted from new to my Douglas, though the wicker chair has been re-made. As far as I know the chassis is standard Douglas for the time (1914), but I would think the body would have been made locally. I presume that there was also the choice of having a metal body fitted, but with the wicker body the 3 1/2 can actually pull it along! In reality, with the 3 speed gearbox the performance is very good - quite exceptional for a 500cc machine of the era. I don't think many other 3 1/2hp machines of the era would perform as well.
Cheers, Graeme
ps - we have a second son now, so the sidecar could get a little crowded!

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 08 Apr 2008 at 05:19 »
Here is a Douglas catalog advert of 1915 showing their 4hp combo-

Not till the all chain drive, 3-speed CW model circa 1925 do I find a sidecar offered for a 2-3/4hp in the catalog lineup. Probably there were lightweight after-market sidecars that catered to the 2-3/4hp prior to that date. Douglas mention in the CW sidecar advert that as far back as 1912 a 2-3/4hp combo participated in the London-Edinburgh Trial. But they do not state if the sidecar was of their own make. The performance of a 2-3/4hp outfit must have been underwhelming!

-Doug

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 08 Apr 2008 at 18:08 »
    There is a little eight page booklet issued by Douglas entitled "The Sidecar for Your Douglas". Replica copies of this are available from John Withers. It illustrates and describes sidecars for the OC and EW models. It also gives prices for standard and sports versions for these machines as well as the Banking Sidecar. Prices are also given for Standard Touring, Light Sports, Sports de Luxe and Box Carrier sidecars for the CW Model. Polished aluminium windscreen, Sports luggage grid and a folding waterproof hood are also listed as extras.
     My CW has been pulling a box carrier sidecar for some years and the combination has been awarded several best in show awards. I have just completed building a passenger sidecar which is interchangeable with the carrier box in a matter of minutes with the release of four nuts. This was as originally intended by Douglas who in literature describe the box carrier as ideal for the carrying out of one's trade in the week and then with a change of body the family can be taken out at the weekend. 
     Photos of machine with both bodies are shown below. Also scans of copies of Douglas literature extracts showing both types of body and a detailed description of the Carrier Box.
     The Carrier box is  very accurate replica of the original. The new passenger sidecar is more of a period design rather than an attempt to slavishly reproduce one of the Douglas designs. I have made it ultra light (it can be lifted quite easily with two fingers) but is very strong. Internally it is lined, carpeted and has a very comfortable seat squab and back. I hope to be able to find or fit a suitable windscreen in due course.
      The photo shows it with the tonneau cover fitted. For the fitting of this I have improved the front brake and lowered the gearing to a 15 tooth gearbox output sprocket and have also replaced the drive chains with heavier duty items.

Larger version

Larger version

Larger version

« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2008 at 06:37 by Chris »

Offline Dirt Track

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2008 at 00:04 »
G'day all
Just thought I would scan and include this page from a 1915 Montgomery Sidecars sales catalogue....just a marketing ploy really, they would probably fit any sidecar to any make of bike as long as it was feasible.
Howard.

« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2008 at 01:07 by alwyn »

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2008 at 12:19 »
Hi another pic of a vetran sidecar could be your bike Graham ? for a better quality pic email me Regards Daren

« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2008 at 20:08 by Dave »
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2008 at 10:20 »
Definitely not my bike Daren - a later 4hp machine, with a UK numberplate. Also the sidecar chassis is quite different. Interesting to see that the tank has the 2 blue panels, yet the machine has the veteran style forks. At a guess a late 1916 model?

Offline Waz e James

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2020 at 23:17 »
We are just starting the repairs on this B29 Douglas Side car, the Bike mech restoration is completed. Looks like a Douglas OB25 side car to me but happy to be further educated. It appears to have never had upholstery lining and is bare timber framing, but that may have been a factory option according to 1925 add. There are a few clumsy timber framing repairs done very early in the cars life so if anyone has access to original framing plans, photos etc that will help with repairs, it would be much appreciated. Anyone have a template for original screen? This bike will be a runner and not a full paint restoration at this stage.
https://cybermotorcycle.com/marques/douglas/douglas-1925-sidecars.htm

« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2020 at 23:28 by Waz e James »

Offline Waz e James

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2020 at 23:24 »
Douglas Factory Side Cars and Dixon Banking Side car
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2020 at 23:37 by Waz e James »

Offline Waz e James

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2020 at 23:56 »
Found this Douglas Light Sport Type Side car for EW35 elsewhere on this forum, looks very similar.