Author Topic: oilite bearings  (Read 11063 times)

Offline bazza

oilite bearings
« on: 07 Feb 2008 at 01:28 »
Hi All,Can anyone help me with a supplier for an oilite bearing 25mm I.D.and 55mm O.D. and 5mm thick to use as a thrust bearing for for the clutch on my EW I don't mind having to purchase anywhere in the world.The thrust bearing I had made is incorrect so this forum suggests I use an oilite bearing.Should anyone dispute my measurements please speak up I really need some help here.!!!!!!!!

Bazza

Offline David H

Re: oilite bearings
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2008 at 06:38 »
Hi All,Can anyone help me with a supplier for an oilite bearing 25mm I.D.and 55mm O.D. and 5mm thick to use as a thrust bearing for for the clutch on my EW I don't mind having to purchase anywhere in the world.The thrust bearing I had made is incorrect so this forum suggests I use an oilite bearing.Should anyone dispute my measurements please speak up I really need some help here.!!!!!!!!

Bazza

Hi Bazza

What do you mean by OILITE? is that some form of sintered bronze or a plastic I am sure that if we can identify the material I can machine something up to those dimensions.

Cheers

David H Melbourne

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2008 at 07:26 »
Hi Bazza
     An "Oilite" (sintered Bronze) disk suitable for machining to the dimensions quoted was available as a standard catalogue item in the USA. "Doug" was kind enough to get one for me a few years ago.
Chris.

Offline bazza

« Reply #3 on: 07 Feb 2008 at 09:31 »
Hi Dave,Oilite is an English product another one that is available here in Oz is Shorlube they are both a sintered bronze oil impregnated product that can be used as a bearing or bush or thrust washer If you can help I would be eternally grateful.

Bazza

Offline bazza

« Reply #4 on: 08 Feb 2008 at 02:01 »
Hi All,I've managed to locate a distributor of oilite self lubricating bearings here in OZ they are Apoolo Bearings Malaga Perth WA PHONE 0892493311.Thanks for all the input we may one day get this EW of mine running eh!

Bazza

Offline David H

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2008 at 00:25 »
Hi Bazza

Great you found a supplier if you need any help with machining small things I'm quite happy to help. I work for a University got access to a lot of good stuff.

drop me an email if I can help

Cheers
David H

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2008 at 20:02 »
Bazza, I got the size I needed from CBC - just had to machine the ID slightly. The OD is not as important - I ended up with only about 5mm

The source in Australia is a company called ACL I think in Melbourne. Try their website www.acl.com.au

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2008 at 05:36 »
I Have heard u can lubricate these bearing by immersing in oil and then put them under a vacuum to displace air anyone else heard this

Offline bazza

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2008 at 07:05 »
Hi Yes when I made enquiries re oilite bearings and thrust washers (which is what i will be using as they provide the correct size for the application a thrust bearing for the clutch on the EW ) it was mentioned that one has to soak in oil but not sure what else is required to do still investigating.

Regards Bazza

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2008 at 01:20 »
All,

You can soak the Oilite (it is a brand name) in engine oil and it certainly will do not harm. However the Oilite bearing supplied in the USA, and I suspect elsewhere, are sold pre-impregnated with SAE 30W oil. They are not by any means 'oily' to the touch and appear quite dry, even when machined. But if you get them hot you will notice them 'sweat' oil. Nor can you see the pores in the material by the unaided eye, so the volume of oil in consideration being so small an minutely distributed, it is not surprising they do not arrive 'dripping'.

As mentioned it will do no harm to oil them, but the success of actually driving more oil into the pores, even by vacuum, is dubious and I never bother. And just because it is oil-impregnated, does not mean you are relived of having to lubricate it in the normal course of use. It is not miracle bronze! Remember the Oilite is just to offer the additional protection over and beyond the normal greasing. The original ball thrust bearing could get by with a very minimal amount of lubrication. An advantage considering you were pumping it into the center of the clutch!

On point that bears repeating from another post on this same thrust bearing replacement, is if you do machine the sintered bronze on the thrust faces, be sure to use a keen tool, else you will smear over and seal the surface pores entrapping the impregnated oil. So until the surface wears away, you will have nothing better than a standard bronze washer.

-Doug