Author Topic: Ross Motor Cycle Rally Tasmania 2007  (Read 9917 times)

Offline Dirt Track

Ross Motor Cycle Rally Tasmania 2007
« on: 29 Nov 2007 at 04:30 »
G'day all
The VMCC of Tasmania has just hosted it's annual Ross Motor Cycle Rally, this year was the 22nd such event.
New motorcycle dealers take advantage of the opportunity to promote their new range of models and this year was a bumper year for the dealers, Triumph Australia came down from the mainland with a full range of bikes.
Richardson HD, Motorworks (Triumph) Autohouse BMW and Titan Bike and Trike to name a few more also had very successful stands.
Many motorcycle clubs had stands this year including the British Motor Cycle Club of Tasmania who came up with the idea of celebrating Douglas's Centenary with a display of their motorcycles, included were a 1915 2 3/4HP, 1915 4HP, 1928 DT together with an 80 Plus and 90 Plus.
Kevin Sinclair a Scot living in Hobart got dressed up for the occasion and recreated the 1931 Douglas poster they had on their stand, Kevin rides a BSA A65 everyday (he only rides a m/c) and has been pulled over for "Impersonating a police officer".....he and the bike look like they are straight off "Heartbeat"!
The Douglas stand created a lot of interest with people stopping to chat all day long.
Howard.

« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2007 at 05:48 by Dave »

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
Re: Ross Motor Cycle Rally Tasmania 2007
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2007 at 10:28 »
Hi all,
Everyone of course knows the poster being emulated by the happy 'scottie' in Howard's photos above - here it is as photographed at the Douglas display at the Ross rally displayed with a photo of the enactment for comparison - not too bad, eh?

Alwyn
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2007 at 10:37 by alwyn »
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2007 at 10:50 »
Hi all,
Here's some photos of Douglas machines taken at the Ross Motorcycle Rally by forum member Peter Hunt who incidentally won 'Best Japanese Motorcycle of the Show' with his 1972 750cc Honda four.

Alwyn

Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2007 at 21:06 »
Great display of Douggies. I notice there are 5 Brough Superior's in the row in front - I wonder how many others are in Tassie?! Good to see a 90 Plus on display also - I have never seen another one in Australia. Does anyone know of others here?

Offline Dirt Track

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2007 at 22:13 »
G'day all
I wish I had known Peter Hunt was a Douglas man....I would have made myself known to him.
If you are in Hobart or come down that way Peter give me a call on 6260 2993 and come out and have a drink and we can talk bikes.
Graeme I think 5 Brough's is about it in Tassie...4 X 11.50's and an SS80 outfit.

Howard.

Offline PeterH

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2007 at 23:09 »
More a Douglas man by "association" Howard - but I'm learning!  :wink:
I was going to finally intro myself to you in person on the day, but one thing led to another and the moment went. I was helping out at the Motor Museum stand for a lot of the day.
Well done on the day - it was a great success.
Peter.
Peter
Sth Aus.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2007 at 06:21 »
Yes Graeme, We do have another 90 plus here in Qld being restored along with a lot of other post war models. For security reasons I will just refer to him as Brian Mc A  Bris area and if you need to know more you can look up in the Doug register. Brian has been into them for as long as i have and years ago bought the alloy lighta tank and a recon shaft I think from Alpha. regards Al

Offline jaiboni

• Douglas is an Dream machine that comes true
« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2007 at 10:47 »
HI & HELLO TO GREAT MEMBERS
REALLY THE PICTURES ARE VERY VERY GOOD AND WITH THE GOOD EFORTS YOULL HAVE DONE IT
REGARDS & THANKS TO ALL OF U AGAIN
GREETINGS  8)  :lol:
OM NAMO NARAYNA
JAI MATA DI
OM SAI BABA

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2007 at 13:22 »
Seeing the lovely weather in the photos, short sleeves and a good selection of Douglas machines takes me back to the Centenary Rally and makes me wish I could have been with you again, especially as we in the UK, are now in the midst of miserable cold and wet weather with months of it still to come. However, entries are now in for the Pioneer Run and we have that to look forward to in March 08. Chris.