Author Topic: Pics from Ulverstone veteran rally  (Read 5787 times)

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Pics from Ulverstone veteran rally
« on: 07 Nov 2007 at 11:06 »
Hi folks
Here are a couple of pictures taken during the recent veteran rally in Ulverstone, Tasmania. First photo shows us (me, wife Joanne and son Euan) with the 3 1/2HP outfit about to head off on the ride to Rianna - in temporary sunshine! Second picture shows Joanne and Euan after kitting up to head home from Rianna in the rain, which had set in well and truly by then. The Douglas performed faultlessly, despite the conditions that day which besides the rain and howling wind included some very steep hills (made Sunrising look like a joke!). I found that the belt only slipped if I tried to open the throttle too much - better to just keep chugging along. I appreciated the gearbox on the really steep downhill runs - I could put it in low gear! I think these hills would have been quite exciting on the single speed bikes.
Euan slept soundly throughout the rain soaked ride back - he awoke when we got back down to the coast and were hit with the fierce winds once more. Thankfully the rain had eased off by then and the wind followed us home - the bike fairly sailed along this stretch!
All good fun - it was a tremendous rally.

« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2007 at 11:56 by alwyn »

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Re: Pics from Ulverstone veteran rally
« Reply #1 on: 07 Nov 2007 at 20:31 »
Graeme, great photos. As you know you have understated the hills for single speed veterans - it certainly was quite exciting. However of the two people who fell off both were on geared bikes !!

Offline roger h

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2017 at 21:21 »
Just found these pics whilst surfing the Douglas forum in 2017. I'm from ULVERSTON in Cumbria, UK, and have just bought a 1915/16 2 3/4hp restoration project.
Best wishes,
Roger Harrison :wink:

Offline EduardoB

« Reply #3 on: 03 Jan 2018 at 13:25 »
Congrats on the purchase, Roger. Did you attend any rallies or meets yet?