Author Topic: I AM GIVING U SOME FRAME NO PLEASE HELP ME  (Read 4382 times)

Offline jaiboni

• Douglas is an Dream machine that comes true
I AM GIVING U SOME FRAME NO PLEASE HELP ME
« on: 31 Oct 2007 at 06:08 »
 :lol: RESPECTED MEMBERS AGAIN PLEASE HELP ME
MR DOUG , TREVORP , CHRIS , ALWYN , DAVE AND OTHERS ACTIVE GLOBAL MEMBERS
 AS MR DOUG SAID , THAT I HAVE AN B29 MODEL 1929
I AM GIVING YOULL SOME DETAILS OF THE BIKE
FRAME NO FA 16663
ENGINE NO 2623
GEAR BOX NO G/L 251
B/TH TYPE M.2.AD2
NO 1.B 860985

REGARDS GREETINGS 8)  :D  :lol:  :wink:
DEVNANI W
OM NAMO NARAYNA
JAI MATA DI
OM SAI BABA

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: I AM GIVING U SOME FRAME NO PLEASE HELP ME
« Reply #1 on: 01 Nov 2007 at 23:21 »
Hi Jaiboni
From the frame number with an FA prefix Your machine is probably a B31 dating from 1930 or 1931. A B29 would have a frame number prefix of WF.  Chris.

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 02 Nov 2007 at 01:57 »
Note this post is related to the images shown in this post-
http://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php/topic,2347.msg8473.html#msg8473

Quote from: jaiboni
FRAME NO FA 16663
Quote from: Chris
From the frame number with an FA prefix Your machine is probably a B31 dating from 1930 or 1931

Now that is odd. According to the sales catalog, in 1930 the rear wheel stand was dropped and the center stand substituted. In 1931, the model further acquired adjustable handlebars. I am not exactly sure what change on the frame between 1929 and 1930 to warrant a change in frame serial number prefix. The center stand pivots on the foot rest extensions, so no additional lugs are required on the frame of the lightweights (it was a different story on the heavyweight twins.) The only difference I can find between the 1929 and 1930 frames is the deletion of a reinforcing strap over the saddle nose pivot, and the change in part number of the steering head lug. But the lug still has the same dimensional geometry as the previous year. So the change must have been in the thickness of the casting or something like that, not readily visible. Normally minor changes like that which were interchangeable with the earlier design got a revision change and not a new part number. So it is perplexing.

There is a picture of an L3 (1930) in The Best Twin built for the Army, that has a rear wheel stand. Presumably one could still fit a rear stand to 1930 and 1931 models if so desired. Perhaps this is one of those Army L3 models? The gearbox prefix G/L (should be RG/L?) denotes a optional low ratio gearbox, further suggesting an Army model.

-Doug

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 02 Nov 2007 at 22:49 »

Quote from: Doug
There is a picture of an L3 (1930) in The Best Twin built for the Army, that has a rear wheel stand. Presumably one could still fit a rear stand to 1930 and 1931 models if so desired. Perhaps this is one of those Army L3 models? The gearbox prefix G/L (should be RG/L?) denotes a optional low ratio gearbox, further suggesting an Army model. - Doug

This makes a lot of sense. As the bike is in India, I would think there is a very good chance that it is a machine supplied to the army. I can't imagine there was much of a civilian market for motorcycles in India around 1930 - except perhaps Brough Superiors and the like for those belonging to the Raj!

« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2007 at 23:56 by alwyn »

Offline jaiboni

• Douglas is an Dream machine that comes true
« Reply #4 on: 03 Nov 2007 at 16:48 »
Chris
THANKS AGAIN  WITH AN GREAT HELPS THAT YOUUL ACTIVE AND GLOBALY MEMBERS ALL HAVE
PROVIDED ME
TO GO IN THE HISTORY ITSELF IT REALLY FELLS GREAT ALONG WITH YOU LL
THANKS CHRIS  :lol:
THANKS DOUG  :lol:
THANKS GRAEME  :lol:
IF FOR ANY MORE HELP PLEASE BE WITH US
THANKS AGAIN 
REGARDS GREETINGS
DEVNANI W
JAIBONI
OM NAMO NARAYNA
JAI MATA DI