Author Topic: New Douglas Owner  (Read 6875 times)

Offline TonyS

New Douglas Owner
« on: 12 Oct 2007 at 14:10 »
I have just taken possession of a 1952 Douglas 350 Series 5. The bike has been previously stripped to within an inch of its life, however I intend to restore it to its original condition. I received various correspondences between club members and the previous owner, which has been quite useful. I appear to have the original gearbox but two engines, one of which looks to be from an earlier model that has Douglas stamped on the rocker covers. Both engines are in a stripped condition and boxed together ? which makes the job more difficult. As the engines are stripped the first job I intend to do is try to rebuild one of the engines, my first question is are there suppiers of engine components should I find I am short.
The registration of the bike is LWD 504 and I have found it listed in the Douglas Register, however it is listed as 1951 but the original log book dates the bike as January 1952. Any help would be appreciated. I can post photo's if they would help.
Tony Sullivan

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: New Douglas Owner
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2007 at 15:58 »
Tony,
         If you are a member of the London Douglas Motorcycle Club, then contact postwar spares and we will probably be able to help with parts for your bike. If you are not a member, now would be a good time to join!
                          Regards,
                                       Eddie.

Offline TonyS

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2007 at 16:21 »
Eddie
Thanks for your reply, amongst the info received with the bike is a lot of correspondence from the London Douglas club. I do intend to join. TonyS

Offline sidecar willy

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2007 at 17:38 »
Tony...I joined the owners Club a few months ago...and can only sing the praises of the club members. The spares scheme is great, the support and hints from members is very good...and I had the pleasure of meeting some members recently all offered help and some spares as well as the use of tools.

Bill

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2007 at 04:07 »
Tony,

You should not have much problem sourcing bits for the postwar Mark series. Between club spares for the wear items, autojumbles and adverts in the NCR (and this forum of course!) for the non-reproduced bits, you should be able to piece it all back together. The biggest stumbling block seems to be good cylinders (they are awkward to re-sleeve) and the special 274 Amal carburetor bodies if the latter are missing or broken. It will not be as easy as doing up a Triumph of BSA, but all the more rewarding when you have accomplished it. 

As you encounter problems, break them down into individual, or at least related topics. Do not run twenty problems into one post as the thread of responses can get a bit messy.

Best of luck with it,

-Doug

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2007 at 04:56 »
in your box u have a Mk1 and Mk5 parts the heads and barrells are different but most else stays the same the rocker covers with Douglas on them are the Mk 1 just match your rocker cover to your heads and barrels this will take out the Mk 1 series
you want the kidney shape rockers and heads and barrells to suit
Mk 1 pushrods are thinner than Mk5 and the valves are longer on Mk 5
this is only a rough guide but may pay to lay them out and take pics of them and we should be able to sort them out for u
there are a set of carbies for sale in the new conrod ldmcc and as Doug says they are rare i comb ebay for them and the only come up about twice a year

Offline TonyS

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2007 at 17:41 »
Thanks for all your responses, I can tell from the information I have received already I will get this bike back together. I have been in touch with Reg Holmes and sent of a membership application so I should be able to source some of the parts required through the club.
Tony S.