Author Topic: EW 350 Cyl/Valves Help!  (Read 5182 times)

Offline bikemike

EW 350 Cyl/Valves Help!
« on: 17 Aug 2007 at 18:39 »
I acquired a "basket case" 1926 EW 350 some time ago.  As I prepare to launch into a restoraton, I have encountered a problem.  It seems the valve tappets don't align with the valve stems very well.  The cases are marked G 26.  I see no ID on the cylinders.  Could this be a missmatched set of cylinders vs case?  I am new to this great forum and hope to attach two photos to this message to better show the problem.  Mike from California

« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2007 at 22:33 by Dave »

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: EW 350 Cyl/Valves Help!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2007 at 09:20 »
Hello Mike , What you have with the cylinders is correct the valves on EWs never match the centre of the mushroom but to the edge of the circle as indicated. The G number indicates matching halves and probably batch number. Your timing cover bolts however are incorrect and seem to enlarged considerably. The considerable amount of corrosion where base of cylinder meets case can probably be  hidden by the base gasket. Pay particular attention to bronze screw ins as these are sometimes cross threaded and the inner loop becomes broken or cracked.   regards Al

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2007 at 13:15 »
Quote from: Alan
What you have with the cylinders is correct the valves on EWs never match the center of the mushroom but to the edge of the circle as indicated.

And further, this is why the head of the tappet is such a large diameter. As you thread the tappet head in and out to set the valve clearance, they needed to ensure that the head would still contact the valve stem. It was designed that way.

-Doug

Offline bikemike

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2007 at 16:56 »
Al and Doug,  Thanks for the good information.  I can rest easy and get on with the project.  This engine also has a Pilgrim oil pump added.  Was this a common modification for these bikes?  Thanks, Mike 
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2007 at 22:41 by Dave »