Author Topic: FOOTBOARD BARS  (Read 6801 times)

Offline bazza

FOOTBOARD BARS
« on: 30 Jul 2007 at 11:16 »
Hi,Its me again can some kind person take a phot of the footboard bars and how they are fitted to the frame I need to make them from scratch.
Thanks Bazza
ps worked out about the steering head grease problem.

Offline davebarkshire

• Vintage Motor Cycle Website (and some music)
Re: FOOTBOARD BARS
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2007 at 19:16 »
I'd like the same information. I've received a pair of new footboards from John Caddick but have no idea how they should be mounted or what should be drilled. If you receive any information off-forum please pass it on! I've also received a cast primary cover from Chris Wright and for anyone who might be interested I have attached a photo of them.

« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2007 at 02:21 by Dave »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2007 at 03:28 »
Here are some pictures of the brackets used to mount the footrest from my 1927 EW. The footrests themselves should be cast aluminum and not pressed steel, and the brackets are a little bent (the bike was run over by a truck) but otherwise a bit of premium kit, ripe for restoration!

The front bracket (the one closest to the camera) should be a straight length of tube. The rear bracket/tube is supposed to have an offset, though a little tidier than the present condition of this one! I should not need to mention the assembly is shown inverted.  :roll:

Close-up of the rear clip where it attaches to the frame. The mounting ears are tacked with gas weld in two places each, and then I think if I grit blast them I would find they were then silver-brazed (perhaps just on one side) to provide the full attachment.

Close-up of the front clip where it attaches to the frame. I have not really investigated it (I took these several years ago) but I believe the threads visible are just from the pinch bolt chafing in the lug.

Close-up of how the ends of the tubes are 'trapped' as the Brits use to say, to double up the wall thickness.

-Doug
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2007 at 12:39 by Doug »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2007 at 23:55 »
Clarification. The rear bracket tube should have an offset, but the tubes are supposed to joggle forward. in a horizontal plan they remain level. These shown are joggled forward and up. Some of this may be due to damage, but it looks as if they also may have been intentionally re-bent to reposition the replacement footboards.

-Doug

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 01 Aug 2007 at 23:28 »
Roy kindly sent in these photos and note.

Quote from: Roy
I hope the attached photo`s may be of help to you, they are taken from my EW.

« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2008 at 03:16 by Dave »