Author Topic: 1926 EW 350 paint and finish  (Read 11402 times)

Offline honza

1926 EW 350 paint and finish
« on: 01 Jul 2007 at 10:14 »
Hi,
I am gathering the facts and details for the restoration of my 1926 EW 350. Can anyone help me with the following?
1) How many parts does the exhaust system consist of and what is the correct finish? I found the description in the spare parts list confusing and the bikes I saw here and there had either three or two parts systems. Mine has separate front pipe and the silencer with rear pipe as one piece.
2) What is the correct finish for brake plates?
3) What is the correct finish for saddle and front fork springs and front fork links (mine seem to be original and nickel plated, but many bikes have them painted black)?
4) What is the closest color shade for original silver and blue paint for the tank?
5) Finish for the nuts and bolts?

Kind regards,
Honza

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: 1926 EW 350 paint and finish
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jul 2007 at 21:30 »
Hi Honza
The recommended petrol tank colours are Vauxhall Sebring Silver Starmist and Rootes Oxford Blue. There has been considerable previous discussion on the Forum listing formulations and current equivalents from various suppliers and if you enter either of these colours in the search facility at the home page you will see the previous articles and advice.  Chris.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jul 2007 at 08:58 »
Hello Honza,  Well what is right or wrong this I havent got all the answers. In my long experience of Dougs I have seen backing plates and detachable drums (originals as found) in both states. That is painted or plated drums and polished or painted backing plates.  Same goes for the springs. I assume all fork links were plated.  Now here is a problem if you throw the links at a plater in one piece you will end up with a bad finish in the inside of the side plates. The way I do it is to press the links apart and polish all parts myself and then reassemble with brazing before passing on to the plater.  If you have the spokes through drum EW hubs these are best pressed  apart and plated in 3 separate parts.  The Doug factory seemed to love plating most small parts and who is to say the dealer when he received the bike ready for assembly in a wooden box didnt slip some parts out for extra plating. One particular dealer in Toowoomba Qld even added an extra transfer to the tank of some bikes (Downs Motor Cycles). Whatever way you go will probably be your own final decision.     regards Al   PS yes sorry forgot the silencer. The front section of pipe fits into the rear diameter pipe which has the rear exhaust port pipe and muffler all in one piece.
« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2007 at 11:59 by Alan Cun »

Offline honza

« Reply #3 on: 02 Jul 2007 at 11:36 »
Hi Chris and Al,
thanks a lot for all the details. I will look for proper colours.
Anybody can help with exhaust system parts? Is the rear pipe welded to the silencer?
Regards, Honza

Offline roy

« Reply #4 on: 02 Jul 2007 at 19:12 »
Honza, according to my Douglas EW manual the exhaust system is in three sections, two chromed sections from the cylinders and the expantion chamber with an 8" pipe extending from the end all in one piece, the chamber and pipe being painted black, they all slot into each other, no welds.
Hope this will be of assistance to you.
Best of luck, it is a fabulous machine to ride and very reliable. Roy.

Offline Stuart Lister

« Reply #5 on: 02 Jul 2007 at 22:38 »
Hi Honza,

Exhaust systems are available off the shelf at Armours http://www.armoursltd.co.uk/ here in the UK and at Classic Motorcycle exhausts http://www.dropbears.com/o/overlander/classic.htm in Australia.

I got an Armours one which comes in three pieces. The bracket on the silencer wasn't in quite the right place, but I fitted a P clip to the rear frame and it works fine.

Hope this helps,

Stuart.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jul 2007 at 02:25 »
The early EWs went through a lot of design changes. It is quite possible they started out with the rear collector and silencer welded as a single unit, then went to a slip on silencer when the taxation weight restriction was raised from 200 to 224lbs (though I think this taxation change came into effect a few years later.) It might have been one of those items where they discovered it was made too light, and had to be changed to a more robust design. Likewise, numerous perpetually loose systems may have been 'repaired' by welding the rear collector into the silencer canister. Certainly from a replacement standpoint, a three piece system is far more practical and any two-piece systems if such were) would have eventually been replaced. Be aware if basing your conclusions on catalog illustrations, they are often retouched giving the impression of a welded system. Such is the case with the 600EW illustrations, where as in reality they were a three-piece system. These same catalog illustrations show the EW from 1926 and through 1929 on the cheaper models with the silencer body painted black.

Brake backing plates would originally be painted black, ditto brake arm.

Fork links would be nickel plate, the springs painted. Nuts on the forks are nickel plated, as was typically all small hardware.

Saddle springs (extension and leaf) painted.

-Doug

Offline honza

« Reply #7 on: 03 Jul 2007 at 13:28 »
Thanks for replies. My exhaust seems to be original (but I am not sure) and this is two-piece system, rear collector welded into the silencer canister. The pictures in manuals are confusing, showing plated pipes and black silencer. That would give more sense to three-piece system.
On the other hand the E.W. Spare parts list (March, 1927) shows parts c2/7602 "Front Exhaust Pipe with Flange Collar" and c/7604 "Rear and Main Exhaust Pipe, with Union Nut, and Silencer Box, complete"  which looks like two-piece system. At the end I have to change the whole system (especially the silencer) and I will choose more practical three-piece one.
Thanks again,
Honza