Author Topic: 1913 tank or measurements  (Read 5973 times)

Offline Dave

• Administrator
1913 tank or measurements
« on: 06 Jun 2007 at 07:21 »
Ruben from Uruguay is seeking a 1913 tank or the measurements so he can have one made. Any help appreciated.

Dave

Offline jonny

Re: 1913 tank or measurements
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2007 at 10:09 »
Ruben from Uruguay is seeking a 1913 tank or the measurements so he can have one made. Any help appreciated.

Dave

hi dave have you got the measurements yet? as i could measure mine if your still stuck? regards jon

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2007 at 10:48 »
Hi Jon,

Welcome to the Forum. No, I don't have the measurements yet. That would be great if you measure yours.

cheers, Dave

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2007 at 14:30 »
Hi Dave.
If I can jump in before Jon, the "veteran" tank is 6.1/2" wide and 3.1/4" deep. The profile is governed by the aperture between the top and second frame tube. I attach a photograph of a tank I have just made for my 1916 WW1 despatch rider's mount. It is unusually finished in Dark Earth Brown which research has indicated as the shade of World War 1 khaki. Internally there is a "dog leg" separator between the oil and petrol compartments and two roughly equally spaced baffles between the separator and the back of the tank to prevent fuel surge and provide strength between the sides. As the tank is suspended from the upper fame tube, bronze castings are provided to take the weight of the tank. These have blind tappings to take the suspension screws and are soldered under the top surface of the tank to align with the holes in the frame tank supports. The front suspension casting is in two parts with one small part in the oil section and the longer part in the petrol section. When soldering in the filler necks it must be remembered that the overall height of these in the tank body must pass between the frame tubes to install the tank as the oil pump prevents it being entered from the other side.
Chris

« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2008 at 04:16 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2007 at 11:20 »
Thanks very much Chris. I've sent Ruben a link to your post.

Dave
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2007 at 11:26 by Dave »

Offline Geraldc

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2020 at 09:55 »
Hi Chris and Dave.I have started a tank and have yet to fit the bottom and internals. By any chance do you have a photo of the inside before you closed it in?
cheers,gerald

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2020 at 20:19 »
Gerald,

Sorry, I don't have a photo of the inside of the tank. Someone else may be able to help though.

Dave

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2020 at 08:23 »
Gerald,

I took these pictures of a veteran 2 3/4 HP tank when I was making a (cardboard) pattern of it for a forum member. No, I am not the person who flattened it out !! (they shall remain nameless!.....) but it has come in handy as a pattern for quite a few tanks ! :-). I have a few more pictures of it I can post if these are not enough, or you want detail of a particular item. I am missing the internal cast parts which are used for the 4 countersunk screws that hold the tank onto the frame and also at the front to provide the two tapped holes to attach the drip feed to the tank, but everything else appears original (except the rear cast mounting piece shown in one picture is from a rusted out TS / CW tank).

Where the oil pump tube goes through the bottom of the tank, a section of the oil tank bottom has broken off due to the thinness of the metal there, possibly done when the tank was disassembled - I think it was originally one piece.

cheers

Ian
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2020 at 09:44 by Hutch »

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2020 at 08:43 »
More.....

Offline Geraldc

« Reply #9 on: 09 Oct 2020 at 09:45 »
Thanks Hutch.
I only just noticed your post.I can now start finishing my tank.

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2020 at 04:06 »
No Worries Gerald, glad the information was of use to you. If you need any more info. please let me know,

cheers

Hutch