Author Topic: Douglas handle-bars  (Read 8658 times)

Offline gsx1100s

Douglas handle-bars
« on: 14 May 2007 at 05:48 »
I have a picture in black and white picture of a racing Douglas. it has swept down bars that are shorter than stock and give it a wonderfully gracefull racing look. Does anyone know the dimensions (?) of the handbars fitted to this style of 2  3/4 hp Douglas. I am sorry I can't show the picture it is a large poster unable to fit in a copier/fax/scanner. the rider is wearing a leather/rubber(?) cap , whose goggles seem to be an integral part of the cap! The oil pump is external on the tank , I hope this helps :oops:

cheers michael
"My first car was a motorcycle"

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: Douglas handle-bars
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2007 at 05:51 »
Hi Michael,

Can you take a photo of the poster and the handlebars? - that might work.

Dave

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2007 at 07:55 »
Hello Michael     This is the way I did some of my bars for TS     Now with a piece of inch seam tube  of the thicker wall diameter an original is 36 inches long  is bent at 8 inches from end and about 30 degress at each end, the through holes for control levers are at 8 inch mark,(a tilt back angle of about 5 degrees) the bars remain flat and assuming you have the centre spindle section ,set up the bars to the desired height and braze onto spindle     Now you could use stainless bar but then when you attach to spindle section which should be plated could be a problem.   That is basically what we do for the TT style of bar.    Now if you like the look of the sit up and beg bars like a lot of owners do I suggest finding an expert bar maker.  Both I believe are correct .     My 26 EW has original sit up and beg bars which were unusual for the EW. Just a quick answer to get the subject rolling .  EMU  Engineering  Elliot Rd Banyo Brisbane do them from a pattern but I am sure there would be someone closer to you .  My flat bars are the genuine original article the sit up and beg are remakes.      regards Al     

Larger view

Larger view

Larger view

« Last Edit: 15 May 2007 at 07:30 by Alan Cun »

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2007 at 00:14 »

Post text modified and photos added HERE.

Alwyn
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2007 at 03:38 »
Thanks for the photos and instructions. The bars in the pictures you sent are the very ones I was after. Thanks again !

cheers Michael
"My first car was a motorcycle"

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2007 at 09:37 »
Hello All, Macka has also asked me a question on the CW bars so I hope by putting this reply onto the original by Michael it can therfore renew interest. Macka also needs a sprocket clutch plate for EW has anone got a spare or a damaged one for copy. regards Al