Author Topic: 1928 - Model D28 - 350cc  (Read 20810 times)

Offline Dave

• Administrator
1928 - Model D28 - 350cc
« on: 30 Apr 2007 at 07:15 »
John's 1928 Model D28 350cc
Photos by Dave taken at the Australian Douglas Centenary Rally 2007

Larger view

Larger view

Larger view

Larger view

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: 1928 - Model D28 - 350cc
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2007 at 09:49 »
Hello John    In case you havent received my personal message, are the engine cases and timing cover correct on your D 28 I have a  set of the correct cases for a D28 spare and in good condition number EI 245.  I too have a D28 and D29 numbers EI 230 and EI 343.   I started with 2 x D29 frames and had to change one top bar to have a D28 version.  Both motors have the EW shape timing covers with small rectangular drip windows near right edge of cover.  Many years ago I made a replica frame from an EW frame for a chap in WA who passed it on to Andy Clarke. I also remember another D28 north west of Sydney.  He kindly drew up the patterns of the gearshift for me many years back. Both mine are mostly complete, except for push rod tubes, but awaiting labour for completion.   regards Al
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2007 at 11:31 by Alan Cun »

Offline Dirt Track

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2007 at 01:10 »
G'day all
The "D28north west of Sydney", I paid that chap a visit about 25 years ago.
The bike was virtually restored and painted red with a 3" paint brush and a pot of red house enamel.
The tyres were original and rock hard.
The owner wanted $25000 for it when its actual value would have been about $2000.
Did you ever see the bike Graeme.
I reckon I could dig up the owners name.
Howard.

Offline Dirt Track

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2007 at 01:12 »
g'day all
that should have read "unrestored"

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2007 at 07:54 »
Yes Howard, I have got his name, Barry  Purtell at Pitt Town. He insisted it was a dirt track 28. He was a member of the Macquarie Towns restorers club.I will be forever grateful for the drawings he did of the gearshift quadrant and lever he did and posted to me. I still  have copies . John Withers informs me he is about to start restoring his D28 and judging by his quality restorations, will be a good pic for this section. Havent taken a lot of notice in the past of the timing cover till tonight, and notice that the oil pump is of the E29 600 type, and the oil drip is controlled from a knurled nut at the front of the timing case near the drip window. There is no centre shaft nipple as the shaft is an undrilled solid (free of oilways).  No drip feed oiler is on the tank top. I am in no way knocking Johns bike, maybe it is as found or put together with available parts. Just pointing out what I consider correct parts for anyone using the pic as a reference.   Al
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2007 at 09:27 by Alan Cun »

Offline Dirt Track

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2007 at 08:23 »
G'day Alan
His first name was Barry....long dead I imagine....he had some sort of Cancer back then....I wonder if the bike is still around with the red enamel on it?
I do know of another DT that I met the owner at one of those Motor Club Show's they used to have in Sydney years ago, I think it may have been one of the first of them a chap came up to Len Masser and myself who were manning the VMCC stand and introduced himself. I said he looked like a Velo man and he responded with "Hell no a Douglas man"......he had owned the DT for over 50 years then....I will see if I can dig up a photo of it....I am still in contact and hopefull of buying the bike from the family (he died some 5 years ago)...I did buy a 1920 Gnome et Rhone engine from him before he died.
Howard.

« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2007 at 11:08 by alwyn »

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2007 at 02:40 »
Hello All,  As we have not had a response from John and the personal  contact I tried to make on the forum has probably gone to the wrong John, does anyone out there know the John, owner of the D28. Maybe someone can notify him of the discussion on his bike. I am sure members of the forum are interested, as the bike appears to be an older or as found restoration. regards Al

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2007 at 07:34 »
G'day all
The "D28north west of Sydney", I paid that chap a visit about 25 years ago.
The bike was virtually restored and painted red with a 3" paint brush and a pot of red house enamel.
The tyres were original and rock hard.
The owner wanted $25000 for it when its actual value would have been about $2000.
Did you ever see the bike Graeme.
I reckon I could dig up the owners name.
Howard.

No Howard, I've never seen the bike in the flesh. However, I recently saw a picture of it in amongst some photos Don Liddle passed on to me, and thought -my god! Who would paint it that colour, and so badly!
I wonder where the bike is now? I've certainly not heard of it surfacing, and being such an unusual model, it would surely arouse interest - though not at $25,000!

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2007 at 00:02 »
All,

Please remember you are posting in the Photo Guide to Douglas Models board. Posts here definitively (as possible) show examples of a particular model. Replies should elaborate on existing photos, such as comments about unique model features or add additional photos of examples or details that further define the model. The goal of this particular board is to help others identify a particular model, or its salient features.

-Doug

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2007 at 07:25 »
Hello Doug, yes guess our comments on the D28 are all in the wrong place, and Dave may be able to shift them to general discussion, or delete them all together.  Your pics elsewhere confirm my comments of Johns D 28 not being a true example, and maybe a caption under the pic should say so. eg Crankcases used from another model. regards Al                        The phantom John still remains anonomous, guess he must have registered for the rally under an assumed name, oh well guess thats it then -----------modified 11 Jul       Al
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2007 at 07:52 by Alan Cun »

Offline john s

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jul 2010 at 12:25 »
the D28 pictured at the douglas rally is owned by john knight colac victoria
regards john

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2010 at 09:31 »
Thanks for that information John. I do still have a spare set of cases for D28 / D29 . However I have since offered them to John Withers if he requires them. Anyway if John Knight does arrive at the rally someone may wave this info past him. I am going through a period of problems in regard to my wife who is now in full time care so can't attend the rally.

regards Alan

Offline a47581

« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2010 at 04:37 »
Hi Alan,  I was very interested in the discussion on the D28. After many years my D28 is at last reaching completion.  The cases are original S/N EI 249,  I was thinking of replacing them with the set you offered me as mine were a bit corroded in places, but with the help of an expert alloy welder they were returned to as new.  The frame is original, S/N RF 175, this I purchased from a chap in UK at horrific expence with the shipping (exchange rate was only 42 pence then) well over $5000 in total.  I was very lucky with the gearbox S/N XG 336 as Colin Clifford in UK saw my advert in NCR and sold me his, which he had sitting on his garage self for 30 years!  The D28 has been restored to as original as I can make it throughout except the tyre size.  I will send pictures for NCR to Doug Frost soon.  The fly in the ointment is that I do not have the unique steering head damper which was only fitted to the D28/29.  Haven't got one of those have you Al,  or detailed picture of same?  I have used the standard EW cables through the headstock setup for the moment.  Very sorry to hear about your wife going into care.   All the best.  John Withers.

Quote of previous post removed - Dave, 16th Oct 2010
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2010 at 09:06 by Dave »
Reproduction Douglas Literature

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2010 at 09:41 »
Hello John, Great to see you have made progress with your D28. I dont have any copies of the steering damper as my 2 models were made up from parts found in all directions of Australia. Both my frames were originally D 29 and a D 29 frame was changed to D28 by replacing with an EW top bar.    Look forward to future pics of your restoration.

A recent visit again by Doug K was not impressed with the fact that my Doug collection has not been recorded with all the models and serial numbers to the club. I promise Doug I will do it ASP.

ON a more serious note my dear wife of 41 years who was a lot of years my senior passed away on 9 Oct after a terrible battle with dementia. All is not lost however a friend of mine who I have known all my life and was accepted by Lorna for her and my care will in the future take her place.

regards Alan