Author Topic: Valve clearances  (Read 5686 times)

Offline Stephen

Valve clearances
« on: 24 Apr 2007 at 11:17 »
Can anyone advise me on valve clearances for a 2 3/4 HP Douglas motor? Timing cover has WD 21/22 stamped on it. Thanks Stephen

Offline Clive

Re: Valve clearances
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2007 at 02:40 »
Can anyone advise me on valve clearances for a 2 3/4 HP Douglas motor? Timing cover has WD 21/22 stamped on it. Thanks Stephen
Hi Stephen,
According to my Douglas handbook for 1923 dealing with 2 3/4 hp lightweight motor cycle model W.21 and its predecessors, quote----- the valve tappets may be worn  somewhat and require adjustment . Slacken lock-nut and unscrew tappet head until there is enough space to admit a VISITING CARD between tappet and stem of valve.
What ever thickness that is we can only speculate , round about 10thou would be a good starting point  thats what i set mine at ,  my 1926 EW is 6thou as quoted in the maintenance manual and this setting would probably be ok for the 2 3/4 as well as the design is not a lot different lets see what the others say?
Regards
Clive

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Re: Valve clearances
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2007 at 07:19 »
I must admit my 2 3/4 TS is not set vary scientifically - I agree with Clive that 10 though is probably what we use - maybe slightly less. I set mine so there is some movement but not too much !! I was looking round at the rally last week and lots of the bikes seemed to have them very tight which from experience causes problems when hot. True test is set them and then run it till hot and check there is some clearance still.