Author Topic: Stiffening gear-change  (Read 5295 times)

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
Stiffening gear-change
« on: 05 Apr 2007 at 14:18 »
Hi all,
I've noticed particularly of late that the gear change on my T35 becomes increasingly stiff as the engine/gearbox gets up to running temperatures. From a fresh cold start the gear change works smoothly and is not at all notchy - after a few miles on the road the change becomes increasingly stiff and notchy requiring extra pressure on the change lever to effect changes up and/or down. Is it an oiling problem? I use the same oil in the gearbox as in the engine, viz,. Castrol GTX 30w-50 - inspection after running reveals the oil to be quite frothy and I wonder if the stiffening and notchy change is due to poor oiling - or is the problem due to incorrect clutch adjustment? - I maintain about 0.25" to 0.375" free travel on the clutch operating lever and the clutch seems to engage/disengage at about 50% or less of lever travel. Does anyone else experience or has experienced this problem - it may be imagination but the problem seems to be gradually worsening.

Alwyn   
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Stiffening gear-change
« Reply #1 on: 05 Apr 2007 at 15:36 »
Alwyn,

I notice the same on my Mark 3 Sports. I attribute it to the loss of drag on the gears as the oil warms up. I run straight 50W, so the problem may even be worse for you running 30-50W. It seems to be better when I was able to get straight 60W. I don't think it is a case of significant clutch drag, as it does not go 'crunch' when engaging first from a standstill. But it does seem to need something to slow all that rotating inertia down a little when changing up. (Remember the gears are spinning faster than in a normal bike with a primary chain reduction.) I just shift it like a Burman heavyweight 'box, a slow and deliberate change, sort of 'roll' it into the next higher gear.

The plunger for the cam plate should have a air relief to prevent that from making the change stiff. But that would not gradually get worse. I wonder if something has moved in the box and has increased friction. But then I would expect you to notice the engine labouring harder. With only 17hp to play with, you notice when it is loosing 1/2 a pony!

Keep an eye on it but you must make the rally!

-Doug
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2007 at 00:12 by Doug »

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 05 Apr 2007 at 22:11 »
Alwyn, frothy oil is normal in a gearbox. Re Doug's comment about straight 50 oil Penrite makes one that many people use on old bikes/cars called Shelsey Heavy.

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #3 on: 05 Apr 2007 at 23:08 »
Thanks Ian - intended to try a heavier grade on Doug's recommendation so I'll shop for that one.

Alwyn
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.