Author Topic: help needed on MK3  (Read 10371 times)

Offline carlos

help needed on MK3
« on: 09 Feb 2007 at 02:46 »
hi, Im new here, I bought a T 35 MK3 and need some info.
I cannot find the frame number , somebody can send me a photo of the frame where is the number? the engine number is T35/s 4813/3.
I need to make a oil stick ,it has simple stick so i need the size of the level marks and the long of the sticks.
best regards , thanks in advance.
Carlos , buenos Aires ,Argentina.

Email address removed for security reasons - to contact Carlos please use the Personal Message link at the left.
Alwyn
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2007 at 11:19 by alwyn »

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: help needed on MK3
« Reply #1 on: 09 Feb 2007 at 06:48 »
Hi Carlos
I believe the London Douglas Motorcycle Club has the oil dipstick in its stock of spares available to members of the Club.   Chris.

Offline Reg

« Reply #2 on: 09 Feb 2007 at 17:37 »
hi, Im new here, I bought a T 35 MK3 and need some info.
I cannot find the frame number , somebody can send me a photo of the frame where is the number? the engine number is T35/s 4813/3.
I need to make a oil stick ,it has simple stick so i need the size of the level marks and the long of the sticks.
best regards , thanks in advance.
cms@arnet.com.ar
Carlos , buenos Aires ,Argentina.
Hi Carlos,
For your information your bike is a standard Mark 3 model, one of 25 that were sent from the factory in Kingswood, Bristol, England to importer LUIS FERNANDO of ARGENTINA ( no town/city is listed) on 29 September 1948. If the bike is still in  original condition both engine and frame numbers will be identical T35/S/4813/3. The frame number will be found stamped on the headstock near the front mounting bolt of the petrol tank.
Reg

Offline carlos

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2007 at 02:59 »
thanks to all, Chris I will try to join to the club but it must be very expensive to us to buy the spares ,because of the exchange of the money (pounds to pesos).
Reg: thanks for the info about my machine,very nice and useful .
I looked in that place left side of the bronze headstock ,scrapped the paint but no serial number only a little D ,(I suppouse for Douglas) and below 75 ,all inside of an oval , so I think thats original , no polished or grinded.
I will  try to get the oil level.

Offline carlos

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2007 at 01:26 »
here is my headstock without frame number(left side) with the mentioned simbols.
What could have happened?
thanks.

Larger view
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2007 at 04:07 by alwyn »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2007 at 06:42 »
Carlos,
             The number is usually lower down, on the leg that forms the socket for the front down tube - just out of your picture.
                           Regards,
                                            Eddie.

Offline carlos

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2007 at 17:02 »
thanks eddie ,I will look there for the number,meanwhile I am waiting for the info to join to the LDMMC ! The web site gave  me an error ,but I suppose that they received it.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2007 at 18:21 »
Carlos,
           When the T35's and Mk3's first appeared, there was a spate of frame breakages. For the home market, the factory replaced the frames under warranty, but it would probably have been less costly, for them, to send the replacement frames to overseas dealers and let them do the repairs on the export machines - in which case the frames may not have been stamped with the original number. Original T35 and Mk3 frames had a small lug just above the swinging arm pivot lug as the lower mounting for the rear subframe. Some of the replacement frames had the lower mount moved to a point about 60cm behind the main footrests - and a modified rear subframe. This could be an explanation if your frame does not have a number.
                    Regards, Eddie.

Offline carlos

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2007 at 02:08 »
ok, eddie here  I took some images of my frame  and sub frame , and its very probable your idea.
Does  anybody have the size of the oil dipstick? to make one until I bought one at LDMCC?
I canoot ride it because I have fear to explode the engine or to ruin the clutch for run it with the wrong oil level.
best regards from Buenos Aires.

Larger view

Larger view
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2007 at 06:00 by alwyn »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2007 at 06:24 »
Carlos,
            From the latest photos, it looks as if your frame has been replaced at some time. I think it is a later frame as I dont recall any of the Mk3 series machines having the bronze head lug. Also, from the picture of the back end of the frame, you have the original subframe, but the mounting for it is non standard. Someone has made a 'U' bracket to go round the frame tube and supported it with a vertical strap going down to the fixing point for the later subframe (behind the rear brake return spring). The rear brake has also been modified - originally it was cable operated. It looks like the cable anchorage has been removed from the frame and the brake pedal, and been replaced by a rod. This could cause problems as the movement of the rear suspension will affect the operation of the brake. Normally, rod operated brakes have the line of the rod going through the line of the suspension pivot, then suspension movement doesn't either apply or release the brakes.
                         Regards, Eddie.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2007 at 06:48 »
Carlos,
            I have just measured an original engine dipstick. It is made from 4mm diameter steel rod with a tapered sleeve brazed on it (this sleeve fits the tapered hole in the crankcase in front of the left hand barrel and the top of it should be level with the casting when fitted). The length of the rod is 115mm from bottom of the rod to the top of the sleeve. The upper and lower oil marks are 63m and 90mm down from the top of the sleeve. The top of the rod is bent to form an eye about 14mm dia and 100mm above the sleeve.
           Regarding your earlier comment that you do not want to damage the engine or clutch by running with the wrong amount of oil - there should not be any oil in the clutch - it is designed to run dry. The only lubrication needed is a couple of shots of grease to the nipple on the side of the release bearing.
                     Regards, Eddie.

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2007 at 07:05 »
Hi if you check these pics of head lugs it looks like a MK5 frame.
regards Daren

« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2007 at 12:00 by alwyn »
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline carlos

« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2007 at 17:48 »
thanks Eddie and Daren, I donĀ“t know about Douglas , Its my first of this brand ,I have NSU ,so I am not use to with english motorcycles, my father had one and he always speak to me about douglas and his comfortable riding, so I decided to buy one and restore to original. For that reason its so important your knowledge to keep riding another motorcycle.
My fear with the clutch was that in case of an over level of the oil ,pass trough the oil seal to the clutch .....
It will be a long restoration.
Daren , I had seen those photos but I had not seen the details you discover...
I send the join form to the LDMMC ,anyone knows how they contact me? by mail or by post?
Thanks again for all the data , Regards and sorry for my english.
Carlos.

Offline roy

« Reply #13 on: 19 Feb 2007 at 19:50 »
Hi Carlos, you will probably receive your documents through the post. Your best bet is to contact Reg Holmes  (membership secretary) by e-mail he will then confirm your application.

Email address has been removed for security reasons - you may use this link to send a Personal Message to Reg via the Forum.

« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2007 at 22:24 by alwyn »

motorcycle