Author Topic: Gearbox oil  (Read 7125 times)

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Gearbox oil
« on: 30 Nov 2006 at 02:53 »
I was wondering what type of oil should be used in the gearbox on my OC - similar to the DT gearbox. I can't find any reference to weight/type/etc. I guess the options are a straight 50 engine oil, heavier gear oil or semi-fluid grease (unlikely I think).

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Re: Gearbox oil
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2006 at 03:05 »
Ian,
When we dismantled the gearbox on the OB when restoring it, it was full of grease. With this in mind we put semi-fluid grease into it. I hope we did the right thing?

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2006 at 03:40 »
I hope you did the right thing - SF grease leaks alot less than oil !! Would be great if I can do that.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2006 at 06:52 »
I have been using semi fluid grease in all my two and three speed gearboxes on 2.3/4 hp machines now for several years without trouble and leakage is minimal. The only difficulty has been finding a source of supply that would sell it in less than huge drums for agricultural/industrial concerns. For the particular product I have been using, I recently found a source in Northern Ireland selling it in 1 litre flasks. With the details from the label when that arrived I found a similar source in England.  Chris.

Offline roy

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2006 at 08:54 »
Ian/Chris,
 I have been using Castrol Spheerol in the gearbox of my EW with no problems, it was obtained from the VMCC online shop priced at £5.25 for 500ml. (01954 231668). There is a larger size available. Hope this may be of use to you.
                                                                                                      Roy.                 

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2006 at 20:24 »
Thanks folks - looks as though semi-fluid grease is the way to go. For information - Penrite here in Australia sells SFG suitable for Burman gearboxes in 500ml containers - I think they also sell in the UK ? I will use that.