Author Topic: Mark III history  (Read 10042 times)

Offline prentii

Mark III history
« on: 13 Nov 2006 at 21:48 »
I'm the owner of this bike - it appears in Roy Bacon's Encyclopedia of Motorcycles form the 30's 40's & 50's.

Anyone know of it's history?

Also, as it is being restored - does anyone know the colour scheme - can't figure if the mudguards are silver, grey or beige/cream?

Larger view
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2006 at 03:07 by alwyn »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Mark III history
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2006 at 02:39 »
I do not know the specific history for HDF 212.

But it is a 1948-49 Mark 3 Sports. The mudguards would be painted silver, and the frame, forks, toolboxes, number plate, and headlamp shell black. The side and top panels of the petrol tank would be a deep blue. Surrounding those is a gold pinstripe. They in turn are surrounded by a black band, and the shiny swath visible between the side and top panels would be chromium plate.

You will see photos of Mark 3 and Mark 3 Sports having this color scheme elswhere on this site. Start by looking in the members gallery, or perhaps someone else would care to add some of the links to this thread.

Regards,

-Doug

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2006 at 03:27 »
Hi all,
Heres a couple of photos of a MkIII Sports taken at the start of the Bay to Birdwood rally in SA a couple of years ago. I believe the livery is original. It certainly appears to be the colours that Doug describes above.

Alwyn

Larger view

Larger view

Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2006 at 13:10 »
No, this does not have the chrome swath shown in the Roy Bacon book image. Also the pinstripe is white in this example. The top panel is also sliver, and perhaps I have that wrong in my post above stating it to be blue (I am not sure now.) I'll need to check into that and report back. 

-Doug

Offline prentii

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2006 at 16:23 »
Thanks for info so far - I'd be grateful to know what type of silver to use on the mudguards - I have the feeling that some will just look like aluminium paint and quite ugly.

Also, I should add what I know of the bike - I bought it from a local guy who had cosmetically restored it in the early 80's.  It had a tax disc dating from 1961, which may have been the last time it was on the road (legally).  I've had it for over 20 years, with the engine in bits, awaiting a rebuild(!)

At some point a pillion seat was added, as there are rear footpegs.  The cissy handle has long gone, but one toolbox survives.  The mudguards we have are standard, with valances, so they were probably replaced in the first restoration.  Apart from that the only other obviously new parts are the speedo and a (yukky) dual seat.

It was quite a surprise to find it in Roy Bacon's book, especially as most photo's don't show a registration plate.

Found some further info - this bike featured in Motor Cycling in June 1948.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2006 at 19:53 by prentii »

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2006 at 19:52 »
........ I'd be grateful to know what type of silver to use on the mudguards -

Refer to this thread for information on colours - particlarly refer to eddie's post where specific paints are recommended.

Alwyn
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2006 at 01:17 »
According to a Douglas Mark 3 Sports advert, the petrol tank finish was blue, chrome, and metallic silver. So the top panel must have been silver. It looks to be the same shade grey in the black and white photos. It also looks like others have done the pinstripe in white, and not gold. So now I wonder if I had that right. Perhaps I will bow out of this discussion now! 

-Doug

Offline prentii

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2006 at 07:03 »
Thanks I have an idea of the silver colour to use, which should look 'right'.

Here is the bike in Motor Cycling June 1948 - well part of it.

Unfortunately, the text of the image is illegible and cannot be enhanced or the image enlarged satisfactorily - if a better and larger scan of the complete article can be provided it will be replaced.

Alwyn
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2006 at 10:47 by alwyn »

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2006 at 10:27 »
Silver on tank top is correct, mark 3 sports also had 120 mph speedo, stronger front fork springs, different cams,

Offline prentii

« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2006 at 17:48 »
Yes the sports does have special cams - unfortunately we have only been able to get standard camshafts for the rebuild.

I will try to get a better scan of the Motor Cycling article - it runs to three pages - seems the author gave the bike a good thrashing over 300 odd miles.

Will post some pics when the bike is finished.

But, if anyone knows the history of the bike from 1948 - 1961 I would really appreciate it.

Also, pics of any more paint jobs out there?