Author Topic: Bas's Duggie  (Read 4587 times)

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Co-Founder
  • Location: Late of Encounter Bay, South Coast, South Australia
Bas's Duggie
« on: 25 Aug 2004 at 02:04 »
Welcome to the forum Bas - and good luck in getting your required parts (see under Parts Wanted)- moderator Doug will probably make comment about the model id given that frame number, but according to info I have, the number leads me to models DT5/DT6 (speedway) and SW5/SW6 (roadster), 500 and 600 cc OHV motors. The suffix D on your number could have significance that Doug may recognise - maybe = dirt-track?. The number 1230 I believe, puts it in the 1928 - 1929 manufacturing era.

Have posted these pictures as examples of both models...

Regards,
Alwyn

Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
Bas's Duggie
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2004 at 03:10 »
The suffix is actually a superimposed capital 'D' and 'K', the 'K' is probably illegible.  It was used to terminate the sequence of numbers that make up the frame serial number.  The DT and SW shared the same frame prefix of TF, and engine prefix of EL.    

Identification may be very simple; the SW had a flywheel clutch and brakes, and the DT did not!  If it is just a frame and forks, there are detail differences that can be noted.  

A DT frame will have a provision for a footrest only on the right-hand side.  However, many frames have had a left-hand footrest added to convert to SW-like specifications and allow the machine to be used on the road.  Look to see if both lugs match and look like a factory job.  Conversions are often just a T-joint gas welded to the frame tube, rather than a cast steel lug silver-brazed as found on the right-hand side (the lug would have to be installed as the frame was being assembled.)  Even though the 1932 catalog still states the foot rest (assembly) was fitted only to the right-hand side, I have a suspicion at some point the factory may have started installing both lugs anyway so that any frame could be built up into either a Dirt Track or Speed Way model.  

If you have the front fork girders, the SW will have a provision for the brake anchorage and brake spindle bush in the form of a lug that spans the two tubes and carries the bush behind the fork blade.  The tubes of the right hand blade are locally flattened to clear the brake drum.  Also there is an anchorage point for the cable further up on the leading edge of the front tube (may be broken off.)  These features are absent on the DT.  This brake bush was a little more difficult for the amateur to add.  So conversions are easier to spot unless done by a skilled metalworker.  

The DT Douglas picture Alwyn has included has be retrofited with a flywheel cluch to make the machine more convinient to demonstrate in exibition events.  

-Doug

motorcycle