Author Topic: Belt Rim  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Rob

Belt Rim
« on: 11 Nov 2006 at 06:23 »
Hi,

I am about to start to remove the old belt rim off my TS for painting and a clean up. The screws that fix the rim to the spokes (via the tab) are completely rusted and will need replacing. They apprear to be 3/16 x 24 tpi BSW.

To take it off I will have to drill out all the screws so I will not recover any. I was wondering if this thread is original.

Also the current screws appear to be punched after they are in place to help stop them coming loose. Is this the correct method? Any advise would be welcome.

Rob

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: Belt Rim
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2006 at 18:36 »
Hi Rob The screws clamping the belt rim to the spokes were originally 3/16 Whit. with round heads and these are still available but quite difficult to find. Usually the tabs into which they screw are also rusted and just not worth cleaning up and painting even if the threads are not damaged by drilling out the old screws. I think a better solution is to make new tabs out of steel strip then drill and tap them 2BA. This way you get more threads although not so deep in the thin tabs. 2BA screws are readily available and no one will know the difference if you paint them. It would take an expert and very fussy person to notice even if you nickel plate the screws and only paint the tabs. Incidentally I have never seen the screws peened over to prevent loosening and I have never had them come loose. Chris.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Re: Belt Rim
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2006 at 21:31 »
I guess if you are worried about them coming loose Loctite would be a good option.