Author Topic: douglas 500 ohv engine wanted 1928-30  (Read 4495 times)

Offline bas

douglas 500 ohv engine wanted 1928-30
« on: 24 Aug 2004 at 20:17 »
Wanted komplete engine and gearbox for my douggie with framenumber TF 1230 D( i believe it's a SW model)

Also looking for the same bike:
#gearshift
#control levers
#exhaust system
#chaingards

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
douglas 500 ohv engine wanted 1928-30
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2004 at 03:16 »
The suffix is actually a superimposed capital 'D' and 'K', the 'K' is probably illegible.  It was used to terminate the sequence of numbers that make up the frame serial number.  The DT and SW shared the same frame prefix of TF, and engine prefix of EL.    

Identification may be very simple; the SW had a flywheel clutch and brakes, and the DT did not!  If it is just a frame and forks, there are detail differences that can be noted.  

A DT frame will have a provision for a footrest only on the right-hand side.  However, many frames have had a left-hand footrest added to convert to SW-like specifications and allow the machine to be used on the road.  Look to see if both lugs match and look like a factory job.  Conversions are often just a T-joint gas welded to the frame tube, rather than a cast steel lug silver-brazed as found on the right-hand side (the lug would have to be installed as the frame was being assembled.)  Even though the 1932 catalog still states the foot rest (assembly) was fitted only to the right-hand side, I have a suspicion at some point the factory may have started installing both lugs anyway so that any frame could be built up into either a Dirt Track or Speed Way model.  

If you have the front fork girders, the SW will have a provision for the brake anchorage and brake spindle bush in the form of a lug that spans the two tubes and carries the bush behind the fork blade.  The tubes of the right hand blade are locally flattened to clear the brake drum.  Also there is an anchorage point for the cable further up on the leading edge of the front tube (may be broken off.)  These features are absent on the DT.  This brake bush was a little more difficult for the amateur to add.  So conversions are easier to spot unless done by a skilled metalworker.  

-Doug

(This reply is duplicated under the General Discusion Forum, see post "Bas's Dougie")

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
Re: douglas 500 ohv engine wanted 1928-30
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2005 at 03:28 »
Quote from: bas
Also looking for the same bike: ...  exhaust system...
I may have exhaust systems available the summer of 2006.  I have twelve sets of pipes 'blanks' bent in stainless steel, but that is as far as the project has gotten.  They still need to be trimmed, flanges made, welded up, etc.  Project is on the back burner at the moment, but will have to revive in 2006 to replace the pipes on my SW. 

-Doug

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Re: douglas 500 ohv engine wanted 1928-30
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jan 2006 at 11:07 »
I too could be in the market for some pipes for an SW as well Doug, so keep us posted.
Cheers, Graeme

motorcycle