Author Topic: RA parts wanted  (Read 5799 times)

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
RA parts wanted
« on: 28 Aug 2006 at 02:02 »
Hi all - this post made on behalf of dirt-track...

G’day all

I have just picked up a rear stand for an “RA”, can members tell me when this type of stand ceased to be fitted to the “RA”. I also picked up a set of rockers and oil reservoirs so I should consider myself lucky.

I had another stroke of luck on Ebay recently when I came across a “Very old gearbox” listed at 'Buy It Now' for £45….a DT box at that.  See photos.

Still looking for anything at all for this model….including info or photos.

Thanks……Howard.

Larger view

Larger view

Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: RA parts wanted
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2006 at 03:45 »
My first thought was, why would an racer like an RA have a stand! But then looking at the catalog reprints, there it is, and a center stand no less!  The works were racing the RA (with historic results) in 1923, but I am not sure when they were first offered to the public. They do turn up in the catalog for 1924 and 1925, both catalog illustrations showing the stand. 1925 was the last year for the RA, and it was superseded by the substantially re-designed I.o.M./TT models using the (then) new 82mm stoke engine. 1926 and later frames do not have provision for the RA stand.

-Doug

Offline Dirt Track

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2006 at 12:20 »
G'day Doug and all
Thanks for that advise Doug....my frame is in an inexcessable position and I could not get at it to see for myself if it was suitable.
I still have not been able to turn up a photo of the 28 "RA" to see what it looked like as regards its difference to the DT model.
Is there any experts in the LDMCC?
I have a good few bits for the early RA so will persevere.
Howard.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2006 at 02:55 »
Oh there are plenty of experts in the LDMCC. Not too many left now that know the RA models. Unfortunately one of the best, Bob Thomas, passed away not that long ago. He got to know the RA models quite well when doing up his 1923 Freddie Dixon outfit replica. Just before he died he mentioned selling a whole pile of his spares to Australia, so perhaps they will turn up in your neighborhood?

-Doug