Author Topic: Parts for 2 3/4 needed  (Read 5448 times)

Offline gsx1100s

Parts for 2 3/4 needed
« on: 28 Jun 2006 at 06:36 »
I need a number of parts for my restoration as listed below. Sorry for lack of correct terminology of parts :oops:

- Tubing for oil and petrol lines (as well as connecting threaded collars).
- Working cables for handle bar levers ( throttle ,valve lifter etc).
- Round sight glass window and screw cap for oil drip feed on tank.
- "Coffee Grinder" lever and connecting rods for 2 speed gear shift .
- Grips for handle bars.

If there are any modern alternatives I am happy to use those , e.g. non original cables (if available)  to get it running is my objective, I am not overly worried about originality at this stage .

Thanks , Michael
"My first car was a motorcycle"

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Re: Parts for 2 3/4 needed
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2006 at 06:56 »
Michael,
  • The tubing is just standard copper - I think 1/4" - and I believe you can get the fittings to solder on from Pirtek. I will know soon as I have to go and get them for my OC as I have run out. I think they also sell the equipment and parts to swage the rubber hose into the oil line.
  • You can use modern cables for everything on the machine. They don't look that different anyway. It is possible to get universal cables that need the ends soldered - that is the best way to go - modern bike shops sometimes have them otherwise classic shops.
  • The round sight glass is, I think, available from LDMCC pre-war parts but you have to be a member
  • Handlebar rubbers are available from LDMCC (as above)

As you can guess from above if you have not already joined the LDMCC it is something you should do. Apart from enything else the parts availability for 2.75hp machines is excellent. You may have to fabricate the gear change until you can find an original one.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2006 at 07:03 »
Michael - just had a look on the parts list - they have "High/Low Gear Change Quadrant" listed for the 2.75 hp. Don't know if that is the gate or the handle or both . Chris, care to comment ?

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2006 at 07:49 »
If the 2.3/4hp bike is the standard two speed version then LDMCC spares has both the high/low quadrant as well as the "tram handle" both "as cast" in bronze.
I usually buy the copper pipe in 1/4"& 5/16" diameter from caravan accessory shops to make up oil and petrol lines.
Supplies of inner, outer cable and a variety of nipples adjusters and other end fittings are available as a postal service from suppliers in the UK to make up cables of any type to suit all Douglas applications.
Club spares also has excellent replica handlebar grips representing the original celluloid grips. These are available for both 7/8" and 1" handlebars. Also a version open at both ends for EW models.
Sight glasses are also available in cylindrical and circular designs for early and later versions.

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2006 at 06:31 »
Thanks for all the great advice. The Club membership is the next thing to save up for ! :)

Cheers Michael

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2006 at 21:35 »
You should not need to save for very long. Membership of the LDMCC still only costs 12.00. for a year's membership and for that you get a superb magazine every two months and access to spares and advice.

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2006 at 06:30 »
You should not need to save for very long. Membership of the LDMCC still only costs 12.00. for a year's membership and for that you get a superb magazine every two months and access to spares and advice.

Sounds like a done deal to me. 

cheers Michael