Author Topic: Douglas v-twin and v-four  (Read 7151 times)

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
Douglas v-twin and v-four
« on: 05 May 2006 at 03:58 »
Actually there is a V-twin Douglas, as special made from a Mark 5 an few years ago. Also forget not the Douglas V4 700cc prototype made back in 1907! But yes, I have seen adverts for these awful little sidecar outfit models for some time now. 

-Doug
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2006 at 04:01 by Doug »

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2006 at 06:56 »
Actually there is a V-twin Douglas, as special made from a Mark 5 an few years ago.  Also forget not the Douglas V4 700cc prototype made back in 1907!  But yes, I have seen adverts for these awful little sidecar outfit models for some time now. 

-Doug

What a slow and wonderful learning curve I am on ! :oops: :D  Thanks for the information , do you have any links or pictures of the v-twin?

cheers Michael
"My first car was a motorcycle"

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2006 at 16:37 »
The V twin Douglas was a special built by Neville Heath a few years ago. It had the engine across the frame like a Moto Guzzi rather than in line like Harley. From memory, It utilised a special home made crankcase and crankshaft and two normal Mark barrels. I am sure photos have appeared in New Conrod in the past but cannot lay my hands on one. Perhaps Doug can dig one out. Chris.

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2006 at 04:26 »
I'll try locate a picture or two.  I know the NCR article, just not sure how far back it was (tempus fugit!) I was a standard Mark crankcase, but a substantial portion was removed from the center, and a new section welded in to give cylinder mountings of a v-configuration rather than the original opposed orientation. 

-Doug

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2006 at 06:27 »
Some pictures of Neville Heath's Mark 5 based v-twin Douglas from the New ConRod magazine, circa 1998.

The completed machine shortly after construction, which was serialized in the New ConRod:

Larger View

A close up of the engine:

Larger View

And the pre- WW1 Douglas experimental v-4 engine, which was installed in a veteran frame by Eddie Withers, I think some time in the fifties. This machine is on display at the Bristol Industrial Museum.

Larger View

-Doug

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
Re: Douglas v-twin and v-four
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jun 2006 at 04:01 »
Split off into new independent topic.  Old topic re- missidentified model of v-twin and sidecar here

-Doug
Site Moderator