Author Topic: Need help with 2-3/4hp restoration  (Read 10436 times)

Offline gsx1100s

Need help with 2-3/4hp restoration
« on: 15 May 2006 at 02:59 »
I have recently bought a Douglas rolling chasis x 2 with two engines . A 1918 and a 1925 .
I have also realized the challenge ahead of me.  :o
I am happy to say that I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the light of mechanics! What an amazing world it is.
On the bike there are no metal piping (?) for the oil pump or fuel , I was hoping someone may have photos ( close ups ) of the routing and type of piping used.I also am in need of photos of the placement of the handle bar controls and their function.
Thanks in advance , and thank you for this site!

regards Michael
« Last Edit: 15 May 2006 at 03:27 by gsx1100s »
"My first car was a motorcycle"

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Need help with restoration
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2006 at 03:19 »
I am sure there are plenty of 2-3/4hp owners out there that can provide photos, but just to get the ball rolling:

The magneto control will be on the left handlebar, and the twin lever air and throttle control on the right. The brake lever is on the right, and if fitted, the outer of the two levers on the right is the clutch, and the inner one the exhaust valve lifter.

If you have not done so already, get yourself a copy of the handbook of the 2-3/4hp and also the illustrated spares list from 1912 onwards from Jack Withers (see advert) VIN200 & VIN201

-Doug

Offline gsx1100s

Re: Need help with restoration
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2006 at 03:39 »
I am sure there are plenty of 2-3/4hp owners out there that can provide photos, but just to get the ball rolling:

The magneto control will be on the left handlebar, and the twin lever air and throttle control on the right. The brake lever is on the right, and if fitted, the outer of the two levers on the right is the clutch, and the inner one the exhaust valve lifter.

If you have not done so already, get yourself a copy of the handbook of the 2-3/4hp and also the illustrated spares list from 1912 onwards from Jack Withers (see advert) VIN200 & VIN201

-Doug

Thanks Doug . I have used the "Identifying old Douglas Motorcycles" section to get this info.
The first engine is a 1916 ( no. 29573) with a crancase that reads 1918. The magneto is a Bosch ( pre ww1? ) and the gear box is a  1921 .The frame is possibly 1921 ( hard to read).
the second motor is 1925 . I am in the process of joining the Douglas Club in London.

regards Michael

« Last Edit: 15 May 2006 at 07:03 by gsx1100s »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Need help with 2-3/4hp restoration
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2006 at 00:00 »
Quote from: Michael
The first engine is a 1916 ( no. 29573) with a crankcase that reads 1918.

As mentioned elsewhere, the Douglas Identification tables are not accurate to the last machine. But I would have thought they are closer than within two years! Two possibilities. One, the tables are wrong. Or two, a more interesting possibility is Douglas did buy back a lot of machines from the military at the end of the war, refurbished them, and sold them as 1918 models! They might have gone so far as to stamp 1918 on the case to reinforce the illusion!   :shock:

-Doug

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2006 at 01:45 »
Quote from: Michael
The first engine is a 1916 ( no. 29573) with a crankcase that reads 1918.

As mentioned elsewhere, the Douglas Identification tables are not accurate to the last machine. But I would have thought they are closer than within two years! Two possibilities. One, the tables are wrong. Or two, a more interesting possibility is Douglas did buy back a lot of machines from the military at the end of the war, refurbished them, and sold them as 1918 models! They might have gone so far as to stamp 1918 on the case to reinforce the illusion!   :shock:

-Doug

So I take it that it might be a tad late to try to claim on the warranty!  :D
Thanks for the information

cheers Michael

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2006 at 02:47 »
Douglas were only offering a three month guarantee at the time. So even assuming the warranty was brought forward to the 'factory refurbished' date (if such it was), you have left it a bit late to get a claim in!  Besides, since it may have belonged to and been used by the military, I think that falls under 'hired-out' exemption clause. so is excluded from coverage under the Douglas guarantee!

So you will just have to fix it yourself...

-Doug

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2006 at 05:59 »
Possibly not i have just aquired a factory warranty certificate and it is blank (just fill in the details)
Im just having trouble with the forwarding address and a time factor :roll:

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2006 at 01:32 »
Well the last known good address for Douglas Sales and Service Ltd was in the Fishponds trading estate (north Bristol) in 1982. But after that I think they closed the firm for good. A scan of a warranty card would be an interesting addition to the forum, I've never seen one myself.

-Doug

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2006 at 00:31 »
here u go doug i am going to get about 30 printed i will send u one

Larger view

Larger view

« Last Edit: 19 May 2006 at 11:20 by alwyn »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2006 at 04:42 »
Ah, but this is a warranty for a post-war (WW2) machine, when Douglas changed their name to Douglas (Kingswood) Ltd. So not valid for your 2-3/4hp.   :roll:

-Doug