Author Topic: lucas charging system  (Read 9292 times)

Offline bill nary

lucas charging system
« on: 24 May 2004 at 06:53 »
Hi ! trying to get charging system working on 1954 350cc douglas. as received motorcycle did not have battery connected and no indication of correct polarity. need help to determine if it is supposed to be a negative or positive ground system. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank-You, bill :)

Offline Doug

• Administrator
lucas charging system
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2004 at 14:47 »
Found a wiring diagrams for 1950 that shows a negative earth for the Mark 4.  I can scan and email this.  I thought the post-war Douglases with dynamo started out as positive earth, then perhaps switched to negative earth.  But I have come across some info that states it is the other way around.  According to the Lucas electrical section of Modern Motorcycle Mechanics (1953 edition) it states in early 1952 a change over to positive earth was made from negative earth.  But it also says from 1949 on the longer 60 watt dyno was available.  Douglas was still using the short dyno on the Mark 4, according to Lucas' own data sheet (the one I think the service manual refers to.)  So did they carry on with negative earth?  It is still an open question.  

-Doug

Offline bill nary

lucas charging system
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2004 at 15:17 »
Hi Doug !
  Very much appreciate the reply. would it be too much trouble to scan the wiring diagram and email it to me ?  the current owner has the douglas manual, but it makes reference for electrics to a different lucas manual that we do not have. Thank-You, bill nary

Offline KiwiJohn

lucas charging system
« Reply #3 on: 01 Jun 2004 at 09:46 »
Hi Doug

I have found intentions of getting my 80 plus on the road this year and although I think I can figure out the wiring  I would be very grateful if you could email the diagram to me too.

Thanks

John

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
lucas charging system
« Reply #4 on: 07 Sep 2004 at 10:52 »
Quote from: "KiwiJohn"
Hi Doug

I have sound intentions of getting my 80 plus on the road this year and.... cut....

John

Hi John,
How's the 80 Plus restoration proceeding - any chance you could put some work in progress pictures up for us to see?
Regards, Alwyn.
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
Re: lucas charging system
« Reply #5 on: 07 Sep 2004 at 10:57 »
Quote from: "bill nary"
Hi ! trying to get charging system working on 1954 350cc douglas....cut..... Thank-You, bill :)

Hi Bill,
How's the restoration  of the '54 350 cc going? Did you get the magdyno working OK? What about posting some work in progress pictures for us to see?
Regards,
Alwyn
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.