Author Topic: Interum tyres for 1918 Douglas  (Read 4509 times)

Offline gsx1100s

Interum tyres for 1918 Douglas
« on: 04 May 2006 at 01:43 »
Has anyone used tyres other than of a vintage brand as an interum whilst restoring their Douglas? I ask this as I would like to put on tyres for ease of moving the bike whilst restoring it . The bike is a 1921 ts. Would some current mountain bikes have a "similar" height for their tyres? All this said I would not obviously venture out on those tyres as the speed/weight rating could be dangerous. Thanks for your time.

cheers Michael
« Last Edit: 05 May 2006 at 02:01 by gsx1100s »
"My first car was a motorcycle"

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Re: Interum tyres for 1918 Douglas
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2006 at 04:52 »
Michael, good to hear that you have found a Douglas - best of luck with the restoration. As for interim tyres, if you order some through the VMCC in NSW (PM me for details) they are not expensive - from memory $60 each - and they seem to last for a very long time if you keep air in them! The pair on my 3 1/2hp are at least 15 years old and are still fine. Hopefully you will have the TS restored well before that sort of interval and can then use the tyres on the road! :D
Cheers, Graeme

Offline gsx1100s

Re: Interum tyres for 1918 Douglas
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2006 at 22:31 »
Michael, good to hear that you have found a Douglas - best of luck with the restoration. As for interim tyres, if you order some through the VMCC in NSW (PM me for details) they are not expensive - from memory $60 each - and they seem to last for a very long time if you keep air in them! The pair on my 3 1/2hp are at least 15 years old and are still fine. Hopefully you will have the TS restored well before that sort of interval and can then use the tyres on the road! :D
Cheers, Graeme

Thanks for the information Graeme . I was under the impression that they cost hundreds . I'm sure I'll be asking many more questions before the job is finished! :D

cheers Michael
"My first car was a motorcycle"