Author Topic: Bearings and seals  (Read 10360 times)

Offline Mark4S

Bearings and seals
« on: 24 Mar 2006 at 06:21 »
Hi all, I am building a MK4S Douglas.I need a rear oil seal for the engine,it is a pequliar size and I have not been able to track one down.This machine was fitted with ball bearings in the steering stem,I understand that a tapered roller set up was available in a common Timken size,if so, could someone supply the part numbers.I intend to build this bike to be my main ride,having fond memories of owning a MK5 back in 1958.
Regards,  Mark4S

Offline john-saab

Re: Bearings and seals
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2006 at 17:12 »
What country are you in? If you are in the UK or Europe..try a company called BSL BRAMMER. ...They have branches all over Europe and were unbelevable when i was trying to find parts for my classic car...on one bearing seal, i phoned with only part of a number that was stamped into outer edge and they then give me the modern code and had the seal on their shelf two days later....all for a £3.00 part! On a oversized waterpump seal i  had been searching for they managed to find some at a branch in Germany...a week later i got the call and  again they were waiting to be collected...i had to buy 100 of them but at £5.00 i have enough to keep me going for the next 1000 years!
www.bslbrammer.co.uk is the best i can do without knowing where you are.

Offline Mark4S

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2006 at 01:29 »
What country are you in? .....  www.bslbrammer.co.uk is the best i can do without knowing where you are.

Hi john.I am in Victoria,Australia,I was hoping someone could come up with some generic part numbers so I can get the stuff from our local suppliers.Thanks for your reply,regards,  Mark4S
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2006 at 11:55 by alwyn »

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2006 at 02:54 »
i think the lower is timken 1985 but my suggestion is go to a reputable bearing shop and take samples i am about to try and source these bearings in victoria myself if u can wait for a few days i may have an answer

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2006 at 04:14 »
Hi I don't know the #'s but when I replaced them in my Mk1 I had no trouble at my local bearing supplier in Sydney Australia Regards Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline Mark4S

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2006 at 03:32 »
i think the lower is timken 1985 but my suggestion is go to a reputable bearing shop and take samples i am about to try and source these bearings in victoria myself if u can wait for a few days i may have an answer

Hi trevorp, thanks, I'll wait for you
Regards,
Mark4S
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2006 at 08:34 by alwyn »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2006 at 06:01 »

Hi there, The bottom bearing for the steering head should be a 1985 inner with a 1932 outer. There is an alternative inner that is more readily available - this is a 1988 - the only difference being a larger radius between the bore and the end of the bearing.
Regards, Eddie.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2006 at 08:37 by alwyn »

Offline Mark4S

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2006 at 23:04 »

Hi there, The bottom bearing for the steering head should be a 1985 inner with a 1932 outer. There is an alternative inner that is more readily available - this is a 1988 - the only difference being a larger radius between the bore and the end of the bearing.Regards, Eddie.

Hi all, Thanks for the info Eddie, do you know the part no of the top bearing? I have no samples to take to the supplier. I am still lookin for a rear engine oil seal.
Thanks,  Mark4S
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2006 at 00:14 by alwyn »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2006 at 05:10 »

Hi there, The bottom bearing for the steering head should be a 1985 inner with a 1932 outer. There is an alternative inner that is more readily available - this is a 1988 - the only difference being a larger radius between the bore and the end of the bearing.Regards, Eddie.

Hi all, Thanks for the info Eddie, do you know the part no of the top bearing? I have no samples to take to the supplier. I am still lookin for a rear engine oil seal.
Thanks,  Mark4S
  There are 3 types of top bearing used in the Mark series machines. The first was a deep tracked thrust bearing with tracks (part no. 2016) - these are no longer available. The second was of Douglas manufacture and of the cup and cone type. The third was of similar design but with a spigot to locate the top bridge plate. The top bridge plate is modified by having a larger centre hole. This bearing is No. SA2760 and is stocked by LDMCC postwar spares. They also stock the rear crankshaft oilseal (Part No. 29162).

Offline Mark4S

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2006 at 05:55 »

Thanks,  Mark4S
  There are 3 types of top bearing used in the Mark series machines. The first was a deep tracked thrust bearing with tracks (part no. 2016) - these are no longer available. The second was of Douglas manufacture and of the cup and cone type. The third was of similar design but with a spigot to locate the top bridge plate. The top bridge plate is modified by having a larger centre hole. This bearing is No. SA2760 and is stocked by LDMCC postwar spares. They also stock the rear crankshaft oilseal (Part No. 29162).
Hi Eddie,I'll get stuck into it now and have the Douggie on the road soon.Will post some before and after pics when finished,thanks for your help and thanks to the forum.Regards, Mark4S