Author Topic: The Old Mans EW...approx 1928 model.  (Read 11633 times)

Offline IBarges

The Old Mans EW...approx 1928 model.
« on: 16 Jan 2006 at 17:50 »
Here it is!

After some copious amount of fettling by a group of unnamed soldiers in Canberra, my old mans EW has been brought back to life and been registered for the first time since about 1982.

It still needs some more work to the carby and I need a better understanding of the lubrication system before any big rides, but it is a runner - almost ready for the Centenary Rally in the Highlands in 2007.

I am desperately in need of a kick starter quadrant gear and a kick starter return spring as these are worn out on the bike and we can't find any similar suitable replacements.  Does anyone have a source for these parts?

The bike was ex Cootamundra - bought from Col Collingridge and has a later model front fork I am told.

cheers,
Ian.
Canberra.

Larger view

Larger view

Larger view

Larger view

Larger view

Update image links. 30Jul19 Doug, Site moderator
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2019 at 18:17 by Doug »

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Re: The Old Mans EW...approx 1928 model.
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2006 at 20:19 »
Ian - looks great - will you be at the ACT rally later this month ? I will be there - taking the 1912 Triumph and the 1923 Douglas I think.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2006 at 20:42 »
Ian
Congratulations on the EW. It looks lovely. If you are a member of the London Douglas MCC you would be able to get a kick-start return spring as they have them in stock. However, I do not know where you would obtain a kick-start quadrant gear unless another member has a spare or you can get a reproduction one made. There is a detailed article on the lubrication system elsewhere on the forum.

Offline IBarges

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2006 at 18:49 »
Ian - looks great - will you be at the ACT rally later this month ? I will be there - taking the 1912 Triumph and the 1923 Douglas I think.

We are planning on bring it out on the Saturday afternoon but will be unable to ride it as it wont idle yet due to possible build up/wear in the carby.  Plus the fact that the last bike I rode was a CBR600 and Ive never ridden this before so I need to get the carb fixed first.
You might be racing Geoff Nicholas on his early Triumph if he takes it this year.  Geoff helped get the Douglas back together.

Chris - thanks for the reply.  Looks like I need to pay up membership to the London club before anyone will talk to me re spare parts as they havent replied to my emails yet.

see you then,
Ian.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2006 at 20:17 »
See you there

Offline trewblu

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2006 at 11:16 »
Ian the bike looks great, I have one the same but am having no luck in getting the clutch to work!!! Have you any tips??  When the flywheel is off I have movement in the plate and the primary chain is not too tight, but the clutch will not release.    Any clues what may be wrong??   Cheers  Geoff

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2006 at 00:43 »
When you join the LDMCC, and order you kickstart return spring, note you need to ask for the 'three-speed' return spring, as there is a 'four-speed' kick start return spring available too, which is very similar. But if you say it is for a EW, you'll get the proper spring for the three-speed gearbox.

If the bearing at the center of the of the clutch is worn (that permits the disk to rotate on the carrier sleeve, which in turn slides on the flywheel hub), the pull of the chain will cause the clutch disk to tilt, allowing the periphery to drag on the flywheel back plate. Then the clutch will not completely release and you get horrid sound effects like a rock crusher when trying to engage a gear.

I have not heard of kickstart quadrent gears being available. I made one for my F28 (a 1928 600 EW) by cutting a full gear blank, then sawing out the quadrent from that. I may have a spare blank about if I've not given it away already. Be aware that at some point Douglas did change the size of the teeth (made them larger) on the kickstart quadrent, but I think this was on towards 1931 and not during the EW era. But they used the same three-speed box right into the mid-thirties on the cheap models, so beware if you are offered a latter box. You will need to swap over both the quadrent and the pinion together.

You will find it a tad more sedate than the CB600! But very lithe to ride.