Author Topic: Wanted EW 350 Kickstarter mechanism  (Read 7147 times)

Offline IBarges

Wanted EW 350 Kickstarter mechanism
« on: 28 Nov 2005 at 08:20 »
Hi all,

I'm new here and this is my first post.  Im looking for any leads on where to get a kickstarter mechanism and associated gear(?) for an EW350 that is being finished off after a 20 year rebuild.

The story is that my old man (Peter Barges) has given the bike to Bob Macquire and Geoff Nicholas (all VVCMC members) in Canberra to get running.  They have the thing running and are finalising a few bits and pieces however the kickstarter is old and has been repaired/brazed previously and needs replacement.

Does anyone know of any sources to obtain such an item?

thanks,
Ian Barges,
Canberra.

2007 Rally sounds good, count me in - I might be push starting it though at this stage...! :D

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: Wanted EW 350 Kickstarter mechanism
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2005 at 09:59 »
Hi Ian

Welcome aboard. Hope we can help you finish that 20 year rebuild!

Dave

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2005 at 20:05 »
Ian, thanks for your interest in the rally - look forward to seeing you there. You will not be the only one push starting - my OC600 which will be on the road in the next few months will not have kick start fitted either !

Offline pryfield

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2005 at 09:45 »
Ian, thanks for your interest in the rally - look forward to seeing you there. You will not be the only one push starting - my OC600 which will be on the road in the next few months will not have kick start fitted either !

Hi Ian,

Give me a call on [number blanked - relayed by PM] evenings. I may be able to help with the  EW bits you are looking for.

Regards,  Nev
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2005 at 10:18 by alwyn »

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2006 at 03:24 »
sorry about my lack of knowledge on these models but do the use a burman quadrant there are some on ebay at present

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2006 at 04:02 »
Ian,

Douglas changed the kick-start quadrant to a coarser pitch tooth profile during EW production (starting with gearbox prefix RG/E); apparently they had trouble even back then. You can use either the early or late style, they interchange, but you naturally have to use the appropriate fine or coarse pinion to go with it. The quadrants can be made new by sawing portion out of a full gear. But the pinion has a special rounded tooth form to deter jamming, so you can not make them out of a standard gear.

If you order a new kick-start lever return spring from LDMCC spares, be sure to tell them what it is for, as there are two styles: a three-speed (what you want) and four-speed versions, which look quite similar.

Kick-start levers can be made easily from welded fabrications (lever + hub); the only difficult bit is you will need to make a punch tool to form the serrated taper in the hub. You will also need about twenty-five ton hydraulic press, and at that you need to heat the hub blank up cherry red to get nice, well defined serrations. Use hot work tool steel for the punch. I tried a four pound sledge first, but the press worked better. Make the hub oversized and machine afterwards (it will distort and swell quite a bit during pressing.)

Good luck!

-Doug