Author Topic: I wonder what it is worth?  (Read 4245 times)

Offline KiwiJohn

I wonder what it is worth?
« on: 04 Jan 2006 at 02:11 »
At last, my 80 Plus is fit for the road and I have even ridden it a few miles!   

Not without drama though,  a head gasket blew in real short order and was replaced with a metal one.  Then about a mile from home the front tyre lost all its air,  however I have a new tube for that.

I have not been overly fanatical about originality but at least the numbers match and the colour is as near as I can determine the original.  It has new big end (oversize) rollers, new rings, reconditioned mageto, sleeves and new jets in the carbs.  The electrics are converted to 12 volts and it has a real tail light (circa 1950 chrome Lucas 'D' shape incorporating brake and number plate lights) and it has a brake switch. There is a pillion seat and air cleaner that the orginal might not have had.  The woffle box that came with the pile of bits has been replaced by two chrome mufflers.

It looks pretty smart, even if I am the one saying so and it now goes OK. 

Now I am wondering what it is worth, something I need to decide with some degree of confidence before I get it insured.

Is anyone game to make a guestimate?

Thanks, John.

Here's a photo of the bike.

Larger view

...and this is how it looked pre-restoration.

« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2006 at 05:43 by alwyn »

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
Re: I wonder what it is worth?
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jan 2006 at 08:49 »
good job john it looks a treat as for its worth insurance companies love the word priceless

motorcycle