Author Topic: Wanted parts for 1930 Douglas sidecar  (Read 8038 times)

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
Wanted parts for 1930 Douglas sidecar
« on: 22 Dec 2005 at 02:28 »
Needed for a 1930 Douglas sidecar chassis: wheel, hub, and spindle (located at B, see image below.)   Or whole wheel assembly.  Also need the mudguard and mounting stays. 

There is a suspension for the front of the body that mounts at 'A', and I am missing this.  It has two coil springs and incorporates a quick release feature so the front of the body can be tipped up to allow access to the left side of the motorcycle. 

I believe these parts are common for any Douglas sidecar chassis from 1927 or so to 1936, excluding the overseas model chassis (heavier, with an outboard support to the sidecar axle.) 

I realize the parts may be unobtainable, so would settle for some drawings/sketches/photos/what ever I can get, so I can fabricate anew.   

Larger View

I have to make a body, and would like to correspond with any owner of a Douglas Super Sports style sidecar in the interest of getting some photographs and dimensions. 

Larger View

-Doug

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
Re: Wanted parts for 1930 Douglas sidecar
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2009 at 18:27 »
Thanks to a fellow LDMCC member, I have been able to make dimensioned sketches of the sidecar hub and axle. I think I also have enough dimensional info to replicate the front body suspension mount. Slowly with help I am getting there! Still no examples of a Douglas Sports sidecar body have turned up, but I have seen and photographed a VP sidecar body of the 1950s that is a fair copy of the Douglas style, but of a monocoupe construction rather than the traditional sheet metal over wood frame.

-Doug

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
Re: Wanted parts for 1930 Douglas sidecar
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2010 at 00:46 »
This is the original axle I was able to take some quick dimension from during my last holiday in the UK. 

The balls were not present, but judging by the races they had to be 5/16 diameter. The quantities shown are just a guess, I crammed in as many as I could fit. Typically with loose balls, Douglas seems to have used imperial sizes rather than metric. I also was able to take dimensions of the hub, though that was more challenging with the tools I had with me. That enabled me to simulate the hub and axle on the computer.

All seems to check out reasonably well. I presume there would originally have been a felt under the inboard tin shield. The end of the axle comes very close to the screw in hubcap. However rub marks on the original hub cap indicate this is the way it was! The one thing that does not quite add up is the castellated nut does not line up with the cotter hole (not visible) in the end of the axle. I am not sure if there was supposed to be a plain washer between the tab washer and the nut, or if I have the inner bearing races too close together. The latter was very difficult to measure (done with a rule) and I could have been off.

Below is a preliminary general arrangement showing the dimensions that I am still a little unsure of, that would effect the outer nut position.

-Doug
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2010 at 15:54 by Doug »