Author Topic: New to board  (Read 5571 times)

Offline MrWright

New to board
« on: 08 Dec 2005 at 14:55 »
Hello all!

I am the proud owner of a T35-S.  However, I must warn you, I don’t know what that means!  I am new to Douglas’s.  I have restored several “things” in the past, ranging from motorcycles to piano’s.  I do so for the enjoyment and I keep all.  My previous project was a 73 GT550.  I enjoy odd bike, thus the Douglas.  I am in nee of basic help.  I need photos for reference; any and all would be appreciated.  My primary focus is to assess the shape of my bike and plan a spring restoration.  I am missing some basics, speedometer, exhaust, carbs, generator/magneto (the device perched on top).  I do not know if this post provides you with my email, but I can supply same to receive pictures.  Thanks for your help and I look forward to contributing (eventually).

Dave W

« Last Edit: 08 Dec 2005 at 18:12 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: New to board
« Reply #1 on: 08 Dec 2005 at 18:12 »
Hi Dave and welcome to the Forum. Your email address is accessible via the link to the left under your name where it says View Profile Email Personal Message  Only logged-in members can see these links and contact you via either email or the Personal Message facility.

Generally, we suggest not publishing your email address (or any other private details) in posts, as these can be collected and added to spamming lists by non-members. This can lead to many unwanted emails (and maybe malware) and your good email address becomes ruined. So to be on the safe side, I have  removed the email link from your post. If you do wish to have an email address available for all to see, I'd suggest using a disposable address from one of the webmail providers like Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail.

We look forward to reading more about the restoration of your T-35 and seeing some photos. Please post as often as you wish and remember the Parts Wanted Forum is a good place to post some adverts for those parts you need.

Dave

Offline MrWright

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2005 at 02:14 »
Thanks for the welcome Dave; I look forward to learning about Douglas's and eventually contributing.  I have a gut-feel that I will be restoring the bike without original/reproduction parts, rather, using parts the “look” the period, as I am state-side (no sources).  I am an engineer, and as a result, I have contacts capable of fabricating certain parts.  I contacted a tubing fabricator, and as luck would have it, he is producing a “run” of mild-steel tubing, 1.375 inch in diameter, with a 180 degree bend about a 6 inch radius (through the center of the pipe).  This appears to be the correct dimension for the Douglas.  It is my intension (unless I find reason not to) to run a straight pipe, all the way out the back, without a muffler.  I will have the pipes chromed. My biggest concern is finding a speedometer with the correct ratio for the existing output on the rear wheel.  Do you know of a “drop-in” replacement form another bike?

Take care

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2005 at 09:30 »
there are replica speedos available with drives and cables for well under the price of a second hand chronometric the speedos are available on ebay but usually go between 200 to 300 dollars
also the carbies are very hard to find but the link below may be of some help
it is hithcock motorcycles in england and u may need to perseveer with the site as it is very hard to navigate
they do amal carbies and smiths chronometric replicas and other parts
speedos
mk1   smiths part no 480/i/l 80 mph
mk3    "          "    "       "       "       '
mk3 sports   smiths 480/s l   120 mph
there are other availavble in kms
one good option is to get a part manual 1946 to 1951 from john withers on this site the book is invaluable