Author Topic: Front disc on a veteran?  (Read 2007 times)

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Front disc on a veteran?
« on: 24 Feb 2017 at 10:55 »
Hi folks, saw this interesting picture on facebook. Any ideas what this is?

Offline oil baron

Re: Front disc on a veteran?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2017 at 06:19 »
If you enlarge the photo I think you can make out a normal stirrup front brake operating on the wheel Rim.  I was wondering it if it was some sort of speedo drive, or may be some sort of device to measure wheel revolutions and/or loading on the as there definitely seems to be some sort of connection with Hutchison tyres. There appears to be a cable running from the box of tricks mounted on the front fork to some sort of instrument or gauge fixed to the handlebars.
Of course this theory might possible be just a lot of hot air, unlike the rear tyre which seems to suffering from a severe lack of the very self same medium.
Just a thought,  I cannot see how it could possibly to operate as any sort of brake, may be people have some other ideas.

Cheers  SteveL.
Steve L

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Front disc on a veteran?
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2017 at 14:18 »
It sort of looks like a external, contracting band brake, though the mechanism behind the fork girder look far too elaborate for the purpose. Given a Hutchinson tyre connection, maybe that and the instrument mounted on the handlebar is some sort of force dynometer for measuring tyre adhesion?

-Doug