Author Topic: Bright Spark Magnetos  (Read 6716 times)

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Bright Spark Magnetos
« on: 03 Aug 2015 at 09:28 »
Hello All,

Saw some old mates at the Rockhampton Swap on the weekend and of special interest was a mod done on the mag with what I think the condenser being part of the points plate and the discarding of the condenser internally. Word is a healthy and more reliable spark. Anyone have experience or comments of this Brit company?

Web Site is www.brightsparkmagnetos.com

regards Alan

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Bright Spark Magnetos
« Reply #1 on: 03 Aug 2015 at 11:06 »
Alan,
        From what I understand, it usually entails removing part of the original condenser first (an operation requiring the dismantling of the armature, as the points plate bolt actually screws into the case of the condenser), otherwise the duff condenser affects the performance of the Brightspark unit. As the Brightspark is inserted in place of the insulator between the fixed point and the points plate, I guess it is effectively just wired across the points - in which case, an additional condenser wired into the cutout terminal should provide a similar improvement.
   At the end of the day, I guess it depends on whether the original condenser has failed due to it short circuiting, or just deteriorated to the point of having very little capacitance.

Regards,
                  Eddie.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 04 Aug 2015 at 09:54 »
Thanks Eddie,

Yes I think that is what was explained to me but I was having trouble coming to grips with the small device that replaces the condenser. I did manage to buy a TS motor with the mods carried out to the mag so I guess I will strip and investigate.

regards Alan

Offline AndyH

« Reply #3 on: 09 Aug 2015 at 23:58 »
Hi Alan

They did my 350 comp unit for me that had been stood for 30 years, works perfectly know and starts first kick every time, excellent spark, well impressed with the modification. They wern't exactly speedy but the end result was excellent.

Regards Andrew

Offline kev

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2016 at 10:48 »
I put a brightspark in the K2F on my 50 BSA
  works great ... very happy ..$40.00 mag repair..  really not much work at all...  I had 3 K2F armatures...all had the condensor wire out where they could be cut and soldered easily