Author Topic: KiwiJohn's Plus 80  (Read 12886 times)

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
KiwiJohn's Plus 80
« on: 02 Dec 2004 at 06:29 »
KiwiJohn provided these before and after pictures of his Plus 80 restoration project a few weeks ago. His e-mail note intimated that the work in progress picture was taken when he had practically finished a trial assembly. He said “after I got it together I soon realised there was more work to do - at present it is again in as many pieces as it appears in the original 'before' picture!”

We can only say John, that if it finally looks as good as it does in the assembly picture it is going to finish up as a great example of the marque. We look forward to receiving some more pictures soon.

Here's John's 'before and after' pictures...

Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
KiwiJohn's Plus 80
« Reply #1 on: 02 Dec 2004 at 07:44 »
John... that's a stunning transformation. Well done. Would love to see some larger "after" photos if you have some available - photos@douglasmotorcycles.net

Offline KiwiJohn

KiwiJohn's Plus 80
« Reply #2 on: 02 Dec 2004 at 08:30 »
Earlier this week I called in to the workshop that is doing some bottom end work for me and I was delighted to see real progress being made.  It should not be much longer now and I will have to clean out the garage to discover where I put the frame and other bits!

Offline KiwiJohn

KiwiJohn's Plus 80
« Reply #3 on: 08 Apr 2005 at 09:28 »
It is getting closer!  All I need to do know is stop the carbs from flooding, Grrrrrr!  and make the generator charging circuit work again.  I would also like to change the woffle box for something more 'fitting'.

I have read the comments about the low set mufflers and the narrow centre stand then I found a reprint of an article from 'The Motor Cycle, 16 March 1950'.  The article describes the Mark III and includes a picture with non-straight exhaust pipes.  This configuration seems to meet most of my concerns yet I have never seen it before?  The pipes pass under the cylinder heads then cant up just behind the footrest almost to the pillion footrest from where they return to almost horizontal including the short muffler.

Was this type of system ever common factory equipment?
Is there somewhere I can post picture scanned from the article?

Larger view here

Offline Dave

• Administrator
KiwiJohn's Plus 80
« Reply #4 on: 08 Apr 2005 at 10:39 »
John,

Please send the scan (any size) to the address shown in this topic and I'll add it to your post.

cheers, Dave

Updated details for emailing photos - Dave, 11Feb2021
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2021 at 07:53 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
KiwiJohn's Plus 80
« Reply #5 on: 09 Apr 2005 at 08:06 »
Photo added.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
KiwiJohn's Plus 80
« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2005 at 05:43 »
The B&W image is of a Mark 4 or later (note toolboxes.)  Perhaps a 'Delux' since it has the mudguard valance.  I recall a photo of a LDMCC member's Mark 4 Sports with such an exhaust system, exactly as shown.  Apparently it was original, but by no means common.  The catalog illustration of the Mark 4 Sports shows the low-straight system.  

-Doug

Offline KiwiJohn

KiwiJohn's Plus 80
« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2005 at 10:27 »
The article, dated 16 March 1950, describes the model as "Douglas Mark III de Luxe model",  they describe this as the basic model of a range of five available for 1950 with high speed road work, trials and scrambles being catered by the four other models.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
KiwiJohn's Plus 80
« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2005 at 11:17 »
Sorry chaps, I cropped out the wording first time around. Here it is again with wording.

Larger view here

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
Sports exhaust
« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2005 at 09:57 »
Hi I have a sample of this exhaust which I have taken photos and will email them to David Regards Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline Dave

• Administrator
KiwiJohn's Plus 80
« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2005 at 12:02 »
Thanks to Daren for sending in these photos.

Larger view here

Larger view here

Larger view here