Author Topic: S 1 Back in the Shed  (Read 8229 times)

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
S 1 Back in the Shed
« on: 23 Mar 2009 at 09:19 »
Hello All, My good mate has completed as much as he can on the S1 touring and it can now line up with it's mate the S1 Racer. I have only one of the footboards that came with the original wreck so I will have to get it cleaned up so a new pair can be cast. We have manufactured as close as we can to the original hub setup but found it best to use a CW 36 hole hub splined to the disc on the front and a larger unknown hub at the rear to match the QD setup. We chose 21 inch 36 spoke rims of Japanese make. Over the years I have bought up a few of the Metzler Enduro tyres ( mostly about $5 at swap meets) and fitted these as  they look the part for the old design. Also with a bike with a high speed potential I wouldn't fancy doing 90 plus on BE tyres.

On the S1 Racer the size of the disc brake was purposely made larger and the rearwheel is a standard EW brake drum with a Tri/BSA backing plate and shoes. The clutch is a modified  Norton setup with Jawa plates. The pressure plate is pulled via the dog bone instead of a pushed rod.

Didn't have the camera with me on the day but the old mate Des showed me his S1 creation, fairly close to the original but with drum brake 19 inch wheels. Unfortunately he had to steal some of the clutch parts from his 4 hp till some alternative can be found. And yes he fired it up and sounded just like a Douglas.

regards Alan   pics to follow?????????

« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2009 at 10:42 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: S 1 Back in the Shed
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2009 at 10:42 »
Photos added to Alan's post above.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: S 1 Back in the Shed
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2012 at 03:18 »
Hello All,

After reading the latest forum and questions about S1 I thought it easy to bring forward this item with pics but alas still havent got around to casting the missing footboard. And yes for those not in the know an S1 was the first under 500 cc cycle to lap Brooklands at over 100 mph.

Alan