Author Topic: "Caravan" bike flics  (Read 13925 times)

Offline Patrick

"Caravan" bike flics
« on: 14 Oct 2004 at 13:04 »
Howdy,
Here are a couple of current images of Robert Fulton's 1932 Douglas. This is the motorcycle he rode around the world and chronicled in "One Man Caravan".

Larger image here

Larger image here

As I reread that book, I am intrigued to vist places like Waziristan, Faluja, and Tora Bora. Regrettably, those places are newsworthy, now, for more unsavory events.
If anyone desires more detailed pictures or ones of different angles, just ask me.
Regards, Patrick

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
Re: "Caravan" bike flics
« Reply #1 on: 02 Dec 2004 at 10:23 »
Quote from: Patrick
Howdy,
Here are a couple of current images of Robert Fulton's 1932 Douglas. This is the motorcycle he rode around the world and chronicled in "One Man Caravan".Regards, Patrick

Hi Patrick,
I have just begun reading 'One Man Caravan' - bought a copy via the web from Whitehorse Press - am looking forward to a good read as time permits.

I have moved the photos you posted to the 'Members' Gallery' where they may attract more attention - can you tell us how/where you obtained the photos - is the bike on display somewhere?

More photos, particularly close-ups of the motor, extra fuel tank and tool boxes and front luggage carrier, would be welcomed if you would care to post them in 'Members' Gallery' - alternatively you could e-mail them to the address shown in this topic and we'll post them for you.
Alwyn
Mod.

Here's the Whitehorse Press address for anyone wishing to obtain a copy of the book << http://www.whitehorsepress.com/ >> - (cost $US 24.95 - plus postage) - book is a paperback edition.

Updated details for emailing photos - Dave, 11Feb2021
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2021 at 21:48 by Dave »
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2005 at 02:55 »
Just came across an interesting article on Fulton from the New York Sun

As well as descibing his flying car project, it gives a brief synopsis of his life. There's a couple of pics too.

Source - The New York Sun - TIME LIFE PICTURES/GETTY IMAGES

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2005 at 04:49 »
Dave,
That's a wonderful find - and a fitting tribute to a daring adventurer.

Maybe too, it's a fitting obituary that these pages carry in his honour - I, for one, was unaware of Fulton's death - the article reveals he died at home in Newtown, Connecticut in the USA as recently as May 7 last year - he was 94 years old having been born on April 15, 1909 in New York City.

Any member who has not yet read Fulton's account of his epic journey through Asia aboard the heavily modified Dougie is advised to read "One Man Caravan" - it's a great story of courage and endurance.

Alwyn
Global Mod
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2007 at 04:14 »
Here is another link to a very concise history of Robert Edison Fulton Jr and his "One man Caravan"

http://www.manythings.org/voa/04/040922ex_t.htm

cheers Michael
"My first car was a motorcycle"

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2007 at 01:04 »
Whitehorse Press, who have republished Fulton's book "One Man Caravan", have also released a video compiled from the film footage Fulton took during his journey, narrated by Fulton himself. In NTSC and DVD, 58 minutes, $29.95 US.

Link to item (at this time): http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=5109

I did not realize this was available till just recently what I saw someone else's copy. I'm ordering my own copy.

-Doug