Author Topic: 1915 Hub spindles lock washer  (Read 1088 times)

Offline GlenDouglas

1915 Hub spindles lock washer
« on: 06 Sep 2022 at 20:43 »
Hi all any one know which side the flattered part of the spindle goes.

If we are seated and looking at the bars.

Rear Spindle on 2 3/4 is it on drive side with belt attached hook lock washer to stop spindle spin?

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
Re: 1915 Hub spindles lock washer
« Reply #1 on: 07 Sep 2022 at 00:13 »
Hi Glen,

I have not found anything in the Douglas Handbooks which specifically states which side the flattened part of the spindle goes (and therefore where the locking washer 1404D, in the 1925 parts book picture, goes). I suppose it might not really matter as all it does it stop the axle rotating? But I guess there could be a subtle reason why it would be placed on one side rather than the other?  Also when Douglas manufactured the hubs I assume they would have most likely manufactured them all in the same orientation? When re-assembling a hub after maintenance I guess it would be a good idea to put the axle back in its original orientation ? Maybe someone knows the answer to this?

I found the attached pictures of the hub from the 1916  and 1925 versions of “The Handbook of the Douglas Motor Cycle”. Also a picture from the 1920 Peace Program Brochure which appears to be the same as the 1916 version.

Douglas state that the hub cup lock ring should always be fitted to left hand side of the forks, seen from the saddle (I assume that also means that the hub cup lock rings will be on the same side of the bike front and rear). The adjustable bearing cup is the one with the left hand thread and is usually stamped “LH”. So my understanding is that the left hand thread cup, marked “LH” goes to the left side of the bike when sitting on the saddle looking forward.

In the pictures of the hubs, the spindle locking washer 1404D, in the 1925 parts book picture, is shown on the right hand thread cup side (fixed cup side, marked “RH”), so following that, the flattened part of the spindle goes to the right hand side of the machine when viewed from the saddle.

I would be interested to see if anyone has found this written somewhere in the Douglas literature, rather than relying solely on what appears in their pictures.

Hope that helps,

EDIT:- I just noticed that in the 1925 parts book you can see the flats on the spindle in the picture of the rear wheel, it is on the belt drive side.

Cheers

Hutch
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2022 at 04:17 by Hutch »

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 07 Sep 2022 at 00:38 »
Also this from the 1925 Douglas Handbook. They don't mention the rear wheel but obviously it can only go in one way around!. (I checked a rear wheel I have that appears to be fairly original and the cup locking ring is on the left and the flattened part on the spindle is on the right (belt drive) side. Obviously I have no way of knowing that this is exactly how it went out the door at the Douglas factory!)

-Hutch
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2022 at 00:53 by Hutch »

Offline Marcus

« Reply #3 on: 08 Sep 2022 at 04:14 »
As I didn't have an original lock washer, I scaled the photo on Bert Pols site and had some cut, however I feel that the OD is too large and therefore the tang when it is bent is sitting right at the end of the slot in the forks. I think the OD needs to be smaller diameter to bring the tang closer to the center of the axle and therefore further into the slot on the forks.

Does anyone have an original and could measure it for me please. The OD on the ones I cut is 1".

Thanks

Marcus

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 08 Sep 2022 at 05:58 »
Marcus,

I only measured two of the ones I have - this one is the larger diameter of the two at 0.85" the other was a little smaller at 0.84". Hope that helps with your repro's

Cheers

Hutch

Offline Marcus

« Reply #5 on: 08 Sep 2022 at 06:01 »
Thank Hutch,

That.s perfect, I will consign these ones to the scrap pile and get some new ones cut. I made mine out of 2mm thick steel as a guess, what thickness are your originals please.

Cheers

Marcus

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 08 Sep 2022 at 06:56 »
Why not just file a notch either side of the tang so that you can form the bend closer to the spindle?

Eddie.

Offline Marcus

« Reply #7 on: 08 Sep 2022 at 08:18 »
Hi Eddie,

Yes I could do that but they would still not be correct, so I would rather make ones that are the correct dimensions.

Cheers

Marcus

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2022 at 23:26 »
Marcus,

2mm thick for the washer is pretty close and I think will be near enough. On one of the ones I have the tab is thicker than the washer section. I can only guess that the stamping process flattened the washer section slightly ?- not sure.

item 1 - Tab section = 2.4mm thick, washer section = 2.0mm thick, diameter of washer 21.6mm
item 2 - Tab section = 2.0mm thick, washer section = 1.95mm thick, diameter of washer 21.3mm

hope that helps,

cheers

Hutch

Offline Marcus

« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2022 at 05:42 »
Hi Hutch,

Thank you for those dimensions. I have redone the drawing and will get some cut.

Cheers
Marcus

Offline Marcus

« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2022 at 18:58 »
Just to close this out, attached is a photo of the new lock washers which I had cut along with some other parts.

Thanks for the help