Author Topic: Panniers etc  (Read 916 times)

Offline Biggles1957

Panniers etc
« on: 25 Jan 2021 at 14:56 »
I'll soon be getting my Dragonfly (yippee!) and wondered what people do / have done regarding panniers etc.  I like the idea of being able to carry a few bits and bobs but don't really fancy going down the rucksack route any more.  I wondered if anyone had any pictures (or advice etc) on the type of thing that would be suitable for an old bike.  Thanks!

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Panniers etc
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2021 at 15:25 »
Douglas produced 'pannier frames' for the Dragonfly. They were only intended to carry a pair of pannier bags - so, having just one spreader tube and being only slightly higher than the mudguard, it was easy to damage the paintwork on the 'guard. When I rebuilt my 'Fly, I made a modified pannier frame that was an inch or so higher, and had 2 more spreader tubes - making it a much more sensible carrier (see attached photo).

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline Biggles1957

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2021 at 16:28 »
Many thanks Eddie.  They look really good!  Do you put leather pannier bags on to the frame?

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2021 at 17:09 »
I have never used pannier bags on my 'Fly - I just use the frame as a rack. When the original frames were made (mid '50's), the most common bags were made of canvass with straps for attachment. The frames have 3 loops each side to keep the bags in place (they are inboard of the tubes, so can't be seen from the side).

Eddie.

Offline Roys rider

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2021 at 21:00 »
Yes that does say Douglas and there are a pair. Trouble is that after 60 odd years the finish doesn't go with new paintwork, so I could be tempted to sell them.
Cheers
Peter

« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2021 at 19:54 by Dave »