Author Topic: EW Clutch thrust bearing  (Read 1278 times)

Offline hartleys1

EW Clutch thrust bearing
« on: 28 Mar 2020 at 10:19 »
Reading the posts re- the aero clutch, I think I may have a thrust washer missing in my Ew clutch.
I made a new carrier for the 3/16" balls for the thrust bearings from alloy bar( the broken one I removed
was alloy I would have expected it to be brass or bronze?). I seem to have too much play before the operating cam takes up against the operating screws.
My question is should I have a hardened washer between the bearing and the sprocket if so can someone
give me the dimensions I assume they will be available from a bearing supplier. If not I will make one.
This part is not in the parts book unless its part of the thrust bearing Pt No. c/7114.
 As it is assembled at moment the balls would be running on the sprocket boss.
Hope this makes sense. Your help would be appreciated.
Keith Hartley

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: EW Clutch thrust bearing
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2020 at 13:27 »
Keith,
          The balls should not run against the sprocket - they should press against the end of the pressure plate hub, either with or without a thrust plate. When the pressure plate lifts, it should leave the sprocket/friction plate free to rotate. When assembled, the pressure plate hub should protrude beyond the friction plate hub - if the linings are too thick, there may not be enough freedom for the clutch to free completely. If you need to fit a thrust plate, Google 'Simply Bearings' - they list various plates for thrust bearings - they are hardened, plain flat washers - the thrust plate on your clutch release cam should have a shallow track in it and that will keep the cage and balls centred on the crankshaft.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline hartleys1

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2020 at 17:08 »
Eddie
Thanks  for your quick reply. My error the bearing does run as you say against th pressure plate hub.
The plate as not been relined. I think I will get it relined at Safetek  they are local to me, what should the lining thickness be measured over both linings ?
 As it is now I have 2.5mm  slack in the cam lever before it is taken up which takes the lever 50% round before it will lift,when I fit a thrust plate what clearence should I be looking at ?
Regards
Keith

Offline oily bloke

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2020 at 17:39 »
I had my EW clutch relined by safetek. I gave no dimensions and it fitted perfect first time.