Author Topic: EW sports crankcase Halve spigots (studs)  (Read 1772 times)

Offline hartleys1

EW sports crankcase Halve spigots (studs)
« on: 25 Dec 2018 at 22:50 »
More help required.
I need to replace my EW crankcase halve studs which are beyond repair.
  My first question is how do I remove them they are firmly fixed. Looking inside the timing chest
they appear to have a ball end but can not  see what retains them to stop the stud turning.
   I am considering as a last resort to milling the studs away with a slot drill from the timing side, but need to know
what the end looks like. If its a full radius end I can hopefully clear the old stud with a ball end mill.

A sketch or photo with dimensions would  help so I can make replacements.
Hopefully someone can help.
Thanks Keith

Offline Clive

Re: EW sports crankcase Halve spigots (studs)
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2018 at 01:46 »
Hi Keith,
They just drive out,you are quite correct they have round heads with a little projection under the head that engages with a cut out in the milled seat that the head sits in .Perhaps warm up the case to 150 to 180c in a domestic oven and then giving the case a firm support  give the threaded end a good wack with a hide face or something  that wont damage the threads and the round headed bolt should come out. Best of luck
 remembering they may have never  been removed since manufacture.
regards
Clive

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2018 at 03:31 »
In addition to what Clive said, the eye bolts for the cylinders may have introduces a slight 'joggle' to the crankcase bolts, making them tight to drive out.

-Doug

Offline hartleys1

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2018 at 10:00 »
Hi
Clive and Doug
Got them out.
I had already cleaned up the old spindles to take three new eye bolts I had made.
I now have to remove the screwed tappet guides for re-bushing, fortunately the six 1/8" pin holes have not been got at.
Because the holes are not eqi spaced. (probably run off  when drilled  on the curved surface.)
I intend to make a spider with a guide to fit the tappet  hole and a 1/2" square to take  an impact driver and with the cases heated up  they should unscrew.
Thanks for your help
Regards Keith