Author Topic: one day i will get back to the barn  (Read 4926 times)

Offline willhall

one day i will get back to the barn
« on: 31 Mar 2013 at 17:43 »
will this weather ever end.Its been a long winter,and i'm still waiting for better weather to go back and search for more parts from the 4hp 600,I found last year.In the meantime i have started trying to research the bikes History,I have just written to the LDMCs archivist,so hopefully, i might get some clues as to this bikes past,I think that this machine was probably stolen from the British army base in Killworth Co Cork,before the base was handed over to the Irish State in 1922.The reason i make this assumption is the fact that the engine number has been deliberately scratched out.On my earlier post "Barn find" you can see evidence of this.I could be completely wrong,its just a hunch.Has anyone any knowledge of whether the British army keep records of machines they purchased,where they were based,and perhaps ones that went missing?It is  a long shot,but surely worth a try.
Bill

Offline grumble

Re: one day i will get back to the barn
« Reply #1 on: 02 Apr 2013 at 09:45 »
If it was nicked will they want it back? :roll:

Offline willhall

« Reply #2 on: 05 Apr 2013 at 20:53 »
Interesting point ,knowing my luck.They won't want it back until I've spent years,and thousands of pounds restoring it,And i will probably get arrested for receiving stolen goods,98 years after the event.
   Cheers bill

Offline grumble

« Reply #3 on: 06 Apr 2013 at 08:41 »
Interesting point ,knowing my luck.They won't want it back until I've spent years,and thousands of pounds restoring it,And i will probably get arrested for receiving stolen goods,98 years after the event.
   Cheers bill
Bill at least you will have had the enjoyment of the rebuild and hopefully a few rides on it by then. our local forensic squad can bring up the old engine number even when it has been ground off,I believe it is something to do with the compression of the metal so this could also be another avenue to establish the engine number as long as you aren't on the local constabulary's  s---t list they may help.
Cheers and good luck Les

Offline willhall

« Reply #4 on: 06 Apr 2013 at 21:39 »
Dear les
      All joking aside,that is a brilliant idea,My brother is a policemen,i will see if he can look into it for me.
   Many thanks Bill

Offline grumble

« Reply #5 on: 07 Apr 2013 at 10:04 »
Hi Bill no worries when I was doing unregistered vehicle inspections for the RTA I inspected a few vehicles that had a couple of ID's with the numbers ground off and restamped,it is amazing what those forensic people can do.