Author Topic: EW Gearbox strip  (Read 4361 times)

Offline tck

• old racer
EW Gearbox strip
« on: 20 Oct 2012 at 18:06 »
Hi I have an early 350 EW its Gearbox is numbered with a prefix RG without any other letter which I guess is about right for a 26 model
Its jumping out of second gear under load
All suggestions welcome on what to look for or directions to some workshop notes on stripping and reassembling box
to start with is the thread on the thin ratchet shaft nut inside outer cover LH or RH thread?

Offline kmd

Re: EW Gearbox strip
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2012 at 19:55 »
Hi Tck
The outer nut that hold the spring and the ratchet nut are both right hand threads.

The second gear jumping out is a common problem on the 3 speed boxes of the EW's and the 30's
bikes.
The LDMCC have  modified shafts and gears made to rectify this problem, they have six splines
instead of the original 4 splines.
Regards
Kevin

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2012 at 18:41 »
Thanks for that
I will delve deeper
I am afraid that 'The book of the Douglas' is a bit too superficial to be any real guide in a gearbox strip down or even a decoke for that matter!

Offline roy

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2012 at 14:35 »
Hi, can fully recommend the club replacement shaft and gear, had same problem, replaced, no problem since.

With regard stripping gearbox, not aware of any printed information. I had never stripped a Douglas before, but found it quite simple, made it easy for myself by taking photo`s as I went.

Roy.

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2012 at 16:40 »
the hexagon nut with the ratchet teeth is very reluctant to undo I am reluctant to try any more force it does look as thought it has to be removed before the inner cover can be taken off (of course I could be wrong....) apart from a cheese head towards the center of the cover (which may or may not need to be removed) there looks to be nothing else holding the cover on

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2012 at 17:45 »
Hi,
     If you are still feeling unsure about which way the ratchet unscrews, remember that it must tighten in the direction it is driven - so will undo in the opposite direction! Also, it could have been fitted with Loctite in the thread - in which case, application of some heat will help release it. Be careful not to overheat it, or you will ruin the hardening. Rub some white soap on the ratchet and heat until the soap starts to turn brown - at this temperature the hardening/temper of the ratchet will not be affected.

Regards,
                    Eddie

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2012 at 12:13 »
I was reminded of those prop driven passenger planes that used to fly the pacific  :D,I had just reached 'the point of no return' when the nut gave way and undid!
Thanks for your help